4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Popping sounds when I lift off the throttle

Old 11-13-2008, 10:25 PM
yakirg

Default Popping sounds when I lift off the throttle

Hey, guys!

I'm new here, I bought a 2000 GT and have some questions ...

It has no mufflers on it, the CAT is still there, but other then that it's a streight line from head to tail pipe ... So it's LOUD!!
It has heigher gear ratio in the back then stock (The Speedo is off by about 20%) I don't know what ratio it has, but it's FAST!

The motor looks stock (Throttle, injectors and Manifold), I don't know what's going on inside (And I hope to never find out ...)

And now to the questions:

1. When I lift off the throttle, it makes a lot of very loud popping noise, regardless of being cold or hot). I thought that the FI system should identify the fact that I am cruising, and cut the fuel ... I am thinking it may be a leaking fuel injector, but I don't realy know. It get's very bad miledge (on the FreeWay, I got about 12 mpg doing 60 on cruise control).

2. It doesn't feal like I have a limited slip in the back, when I pop the clutch on wet road, only one wheel spins ... I thought a limited slip is supposed to take care of that. I guess after 100000 miles the limited slip is not that limiting ...

Any ideas/recomendations?

Note, I have this car for 4 months now, and will sell it in 6 months for sure, as I fly back home ... so no big $$ ideas! (the wife might read this ... )
Old 11-14-2008, 04:22 AM
WHATmynamechanged
Banned

u joints or your backlash, sounds like you have a 4.10 gear, your clutch paks are probably worn out is why your a one legger now
Old 11-14-2008, 07:44 AM
BOSTANG
2nd Gear Member

Sound like it could be the intake manifold letting air get in from around the gaskets. Maybe no back pressure in the exhaust.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:00 AM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

with straight pipes you'd have to expect a little more snap crackle and pop on the decel but since you're getting 12 mpg hwy, something's def wrong. is the CEL on? do have any drivability issues?

as far as the peg leg burnout is concerned, your trac lok is more than likely done

Last edited by Brute03; 11-17-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:35 AM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

^^^+1 with no exhaust its going to pop like that and it'll be even worse if you had no cats. I think it sounds good personally but if your mileage is that bad you could have a problem.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:52 AM
yakirg

Guys, thanks for the inputs!

I drive this car to work daily ... but it's a 5 minute drive (It barely heats up ...) So the Mileage is not a problem ...
The Popping is from the exhaust, and I was thinking that when I let off the gas, the injectors should not be putting ANY fuel into the motor, so I would not expact any popping, regardless of back preasure ...

Drivability wise, other then the noise, it runs good. Idle is not Rock solid, but it does idle ok.

I would probably live with it as it is ... as long as I am not loosing power!! (I have a friend at work with a 2003 GT with some motor mods, that I need to keep beating, and he won't keep missing gears forever ...)
Old 11-14-2008, 12:03 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

For the idle, a lot of mustangs have problems with the IAC valve. You can clean it or replace it and it should make your idle better. I'd do a search for IAC valve and that should help.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:13 PM
2006_BLACK_GT
1st Gear Member

"...I was thinking that when I let off the gas, the injectors should not be putting ANY fuel into the motor..." ??????????

If this was the case, your car would not be running. There is always some amount of fuel otherwise you don't have any combustion and the engine stops turning. When you start the car and leave it in neutral or park without stepping on the gas pedal, do you think there is NO fuel being put in the combustion chamber? Only in a hybrid or electric car.

Sounds like you have a much more modified car than you thought. Good Luck.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

i remember reading somewhere that the PCM cuts fuel to a certain extent a few seconds after you let off. i actually hear and feel it sometimes - my buddy drove my car and compared it to a truck hitting the jake
Old 11-14-2008, 03:01 PM
yakirg

Originally Posted by 2006_BLACK_GT
If this was the case, your car would not be running. There is always some amount of fuel otherwise you don't have any combustion and the engine stops turning. When you start the car and leave it in neutral or park without stepping on the gas pedal, do you think there is NO fuel being put in the combustion chamber? Only in a hybrid or electric car.
Dude, when the car is slowing down, and the clutch is not pressed, the motor is being turned by the wheels, so it doesn't need fuel.
In Idle, it's a different issue.

Originally Posted by 2006_BLACK_GT
Sounds like you have a much more modified car than you thought. Good Luck.
I have been getting that feeling ... I bought a cheep loud car that looked stock ...
It took me a while to discover the rear gears are not stock (First time I had a GPS in the car ...)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Popping sounds when I lift off the throttle