4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Grr.... strange thing happening

Old 11-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Default Grr.... strange thing happening

Okay so I went on an hour highway drive down to see a few friends at their school, and the ride down as great, I set the cruise control at 75 and listened to the new Hinder album the whole way down.

So then I get in my car to go home, and start driving. Everything is normal until I get on the highway. I get a ricer flyby, and I go to chase him by flooring it in 5th and crank the RPMS only up to maybe 3k then finally let off realizing it's not worth my trouble when I get stuck behind a tractor trailer. So anyway.. I'm going about 75mph in 5th gear at about 2,100RPMS.. and after about 30 minutes of driving at that speed, I turn down my music because I noticed a noise.

It sounded like a "SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS" sound coming from behind me, I couldn't pinpoint it, but It was kinda like low hissing (YES, my windows were up) and it sounded like it was coming from the rear window for whatever reason. Then, I got off the off ramp, and this ALWAYS happens to me after I drive fast for an hour... I shifted into first at the stop sign, and gave it some normal power to get up to speed and the shifter feels VERY grindy and unhealthy as I climb the RPM band. WHY? Then I went into second, third, fourth.. same thing until I got up to about 60MPH and it pretty music stopped but then the HISSING came back and would NOT stop doing it until I got home! The hissing decreased in loudness as my speed decreased.

WEIRD, I know.. any suggestions?
By the way the weather is 55 degrees and very damp out and foggy.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:06 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

I have no idea what your overall problem is but the hissing sound seems like it could be an exhaust leak.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:55 PM
zinc02gt281
1st Gear Member

Exhaust leak or could be tires. Also could be in your head lol
Old 11-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

lol nah it's not in my head. It might be an exhaust lreak, that sounds right. Any idea about the grindy sounds/feel?
Old 11-14-2008, 06:40 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

Well I guess you're saying that the grinding and everything gets worse the warmer the car gets. Is your transmission fluid level okay? When is the last time you changed the transmission fluid?
Old 11-14-2008, 08:02 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

I changed the transmission fluid about 1,000 miles ago. I filled the fill hole to the top until it started pouring out. lol
Old 11-14-2008, 08:57 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

Was your car having these symptoms before the transmission oil change? How is the level in the rear?
Old 11-14-2008, 09:20 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Well, it had the grinding, yea. But "sssssssssssss" sounds JUST started happening. The level in the rear? what do you mean?
Old 11-14-2008, 10:23 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

The differential oil level in the rear end. I think the hissing is an exhaust leak I don't know about the other problem.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:02 PM
Mikes99Mustang

hey i just thought id let you know, you may want to watch how full you fill the trans fluid. I normally dont get my oil changed anywhere but my garage, but one time i needed it done right away and someone must have overfilled my trans fluid, (it expands when its hot) and it actually expanded the pan gasket outwards on my 3 hour trip home so i was leaking trans fluid all the way home, i got really lucky that it blew that seal out and not the main seal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grr.... strange thing happening