4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Bolt-on horsepower?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 04:51 PM
tws1098
4th Gear Member

maybe one of the motors from bumpperformance.com, they seem nice and you can trade in your old motor for some money off.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:10 AM
_Slowbra_
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AnimeBlast
I'm definitely gonna buy a Superchip later (easy 10-15% extra horsepower from what I've been told). Currently I just have a K&N air filter and a Bassani stainless steel full cat-back exhaust and x-pipe with cats. What should I do now? What does adding in an aftermarket pulley do and how do they work? Oh yes and this is for the '98 GT Convertible with stock engine.
get gears, headers, and a PI swap for now. stage 2 cams if you can afford them.

Superchips arent worth anything, just get an SCT tuner so you can use it later to tune at a dyno shop when you get your procharger.

Underdrive pulleys increase the power by "freeing up" already existing HP by slowing down the accessory drives that are run on the same belt. with less things using the engines power, there is more HP for the rear wheels. save your $200 since you want to supercharge it anyway.when you supercharge the stang, you will have to switch back to the stock pulleys, so you might as well not bother.

and if you plan on running more than 8-10psi, you might wanna forge your assembly now.....to get ready for the extra stress.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:26 AM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

Like everyone else says Exhaust Headers and Gears, oh yea and a nice tune!
Old 11-16-2008, 01:32 AM
AnimeBlast

I'll post pics when I get the car back but turns out I need more paint which sucks because it's so expensive. Anyways I guess I'll just be waiting and holding off until i get the blower for the car. I'll see if I'm happy with that after I see it on the dyno. I'm definitely putting Bassani stainless steel headers on later. Do you have to take the engine out to do that? Sorry I'm new to this in a way as far as performance mods are concerned. For the blower I'm going with ProCharger for sure after everything I've seen so far. If I start changing the engine too much then I might as well buy a new engine but believe it or not my '98 only has like 35K on it, lol. Nice eh? ^_^ Could you all explain the differences of the mods like the cam and headers and how it'll increase my horsepower and torque?? I'd really appreciate you all taking me in under your wing. I've spent forever on this car just to get the paint and vertical doors and everything done. It's gonna look sick though!!
Old 11-16-2008, 01:34 AM
AnimeBlast

Originally Posted by _Slowbra_
get gears, headers, and a PI swap for now. stage 2 cams if you can afford them.

Superchips arent worth anything, just get an SCT tuner so you can use it later to tune at a dyno shop when you get your procharger.

Underdrive pulleys increase the power by "freeing up" already existing HP by slowing down the accessory drives that are run on the same belt. with less things using the engines power, there is more HP for the rear wheels. save your $200 since you want to supercharge it anyway.when you supercharge the stang, you will have to switch back to the stock pulleys, so you might as well not bother.

and if you plan on running more than 8-10psi, you might wanna forge your assembly now.....to get ready for the extra stress.
So I should basically hold off on everything until I get the blower basically huh? Does the engine have to come out for the exhaust headers? IDK. I definitely wanna do that before the blower. What do you recommend in the ProCharger for my '98 GT convertible? Thanks for all your input by the way!
Old 11-16-2008, 03:32 AM
_Slowbra_
2nd Gear Member

I say get a set of gears and a tuner now. the gears will get your car into its powerband quicker, and will make it feel like you have a boatload more horsepower. With the gears, you are going to need to re-calibrate your speedometer in order to get the proper MPH reading, and to make sure that your odometer is adding miles in the right ratio. I believe with the '98s and older, you have to actually buy a new speedo gear, which is a small thing to change.

as far as the "chip" goes, just get a handheld tuner, preferably SCT or Diablosport. You will get mixed reviews about which is better, but for the most part they are the same thing. the tuner will allow you to add a "canned tune" to your car,which means that if you order it from a company like americanmuscle.com; when you give them your mods and what you want, they can give you a very generic tune that will give you more HP/better performance.plus, when you procharge it, your dyno tuner can use the handheld you already own to give your car a custom tune, which unleashes your cars true potential (but you dont really need a custom tune until you drastically alter your car).

depending on what power levels you are looking for, you need to figure out how much HP you want to make. the stock Gt blocks can handle HP fine, but the stock rods/pistons have a tendency to destroy themselves once you hit about 400 flywheel HP. so if you plan on boosting the hell out of your car, you need to buy better (forged) rods/pistons, so you dont send a rod through the side of your block.

Headers can be installed without removing the engine.some people drop the k member, some remove the engine, some just lift it up a bit....there are many ways to do it, but they are all a PITA.

Prochargers are awesome, Vortechs are awesome, and Paxtons are just as sweet. Personally, I am looking into a self oiling head unit, so I dont have to tap into my cars oil pan. any supercharger is going to add a ton of power, just pick the best for what you want, and dont forget there are 3 types: roots, twin-screw and centrifugal.

All of these mods (gears, headers, tune, forged assembly) are SUPPORTING mods that will let your supercharger create more Hp for you. because you want to go FI, stay away from any expensive induction mods (like cold air/ram air kits, underdrives) because 10to1 you will have to replace them/get rid of them because your supercharger will take their place.

if i were you i would: 3.73 gears, tuner, headers, k&n drop in filter, short throw shifter, and i would forge my rods because i would boost my engine pretty well.

since you dont want to tear your engine up dont worry about heads or cams then, but PI heads and more aggressive cams would help out a TON, especially with a blower, but I have never personally done a PI swap onto an older Stang....so someone else will have to chime in.

and this is where i get blasted for writing so damn much...

Last edited by _Slowbra_; 11-16-2008 at 10:14 PM. Reason: cuz i'm dumb
Old 11-16-2008, 09:06 PM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

I did the pi swap and for who ever said a pi swap and a pi motor are the same there not. Well, not really. When you do a pi head swap it actually makes more the then pi motor do to the increase in compression ratio (9.5 to 10.5). I was able to drop the cylinder heads and the a set of bbk shortie headers in already assembled. I didn't have to take the motor out, i just popped of the the motor mounts and jack it up a few inches. My only regret is that i didn't do cams at the same time. I didn't really want to spend the $600 for them after droping 1400 for the pi stuff and the headers and a sniper tuner. So if you do all that you should be set to make some real power. As far as the forged stuff thats next on my list before the blower.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:48 PM
dennis_112
3rd Gear Member

I noticed something, just for a note, plus to be a smartass, there are 3 types of superchargers. Roots, Twin Screw, and Centri. And after being through exactly what you are before. I would do the basic stuff, gears, exhaust, tuner, etc then forge the internals and then later do the supercharger. This of course depends on the power you want to make and your budget, but with this way when you do supercharger you can buy the right head unit if you go centri. And go straight for a D-1 instead of wasting the money on a P-1 and run 15+ psi and make a stump pulling amount of power. The reason I say this is because to do forged internals after you already have a supercharger installed and up and working and then want more power its a just going to cost you more in the long run. You would have to buy a new head unit to handle more boost, twin corba fuel pumps, corba tank, new injectors, new tune, etc. You need to make a plan that includes what your hp goals are that way you get to it without spending more money then you need too.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:13 PM
_Slowbra_
2nd Gear Member

+1...

I knew i would mess up somewhere, but thats what the rest of you guys are for...my bad....i totally forgot about screw type.