4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mil eliminators

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 06:46 PM
Jiggy_One
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Mil eliminators

ORIGINAL: jishead

I could be wrong but I don't think so. Your downstream O2 should not freak out your puter now matter what. The worse that they are suppose to do it turn on your lamp to let everybody know that there is something wrong with your overall emission system. The downstream O2s are NOT used for computation rich/lean by the computer at all. That would be the upstream ones. I have done this on my 1999 Ford Contour and my 2002 Mustang GT and haven't encountered richness. I built my own MILs on both cars. I own a Predator but did not own it when I did my Pro-Chamber / MILs. Once you go with an offroad pipe, regardless of how you shut off your engine light, how will you know if you are running rich? Are you smelling gas? You WILL smell gas with an offroad pipe (or at least I do).
Your car will run like $hit. Mine did, and after I cleared the engine codes, it ran noticably better and felt faster...no bs.
Brian

Old 06-01-2005, 07:03 PM
sickspeedgt
3rd Gear Member

no thanks montana, i have some ordered, just waiting for them to arrive, am i gonna have trouble finding the o2 sensor. I heard installing mils is like a 10 min job. maybe 25 minutes for me
Old 06-01-2005, 07:15 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

there are 02 sensors right after the headers, and then some towards the mufflers in the back. there are 4 total, you only need to put the mils in the last 2 or the first 2. if you plan on doing a sc or turbo later on, i think you will need to have your real 02 sensors back in.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:17 PM
sickspeedgt
3rd Gear Member

so it doesn't matter which sensors i hook them up to, Front or back, will work?
Old 06-01-2005, 07:20 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

well i think if you hook them up to the back, then why need the front ones if the computer reads the last ones as fine? anyone else know the answer to this?
Old 06-01-2005, 10:57 PM
jishead
2nd Gear Member

YOU MUST hook them up to the rear O2. If you hook them up to the front you will do the opposite AND you will freek out the puter. Here's why (my own beliefs, feel free to disagree on what I have researched and learned):

- You front O2's are used by the computer so determine if you are running rich / lean etc. You do NOT want to scr3w with that signal do you? By removing cats (offroad pipe), you have not changed anything for the front O2's to even care or detect.

- Your rear O2's are only used to determine if your cats are working. Let's say that your front O2's are switching (as a result of engine running) at a rate of 60 times per second (I made that up, that's not a real number). Then, after your cats, let's say that your rear O2's are switching at 60 times per second (I made that up, that's not a real number). That would indicate that you don't have ANY CATS and your computer will turn on the lamp CEL and that's that. You don't want your lamp on because you'll get tired of looking at it and you will never know if you have a real problem. Your engine will run fine. So, when your engine is warmed up, and only under certain circumstances such as cruise (not WOT), etc, your engine will compare (calculate) the switching rate of your front O2's (before cats) to your rear O2's (after cats unless you have removed your cats). IF YOU INSTALL MILS on your rear O2's, if fakes out your puter into thinking that your cats are working fine because you have removed the nasty hydrocarbons and therefore your rear O2's are switching slower than your front O2's and everybody is happy. The MILs are only a $0.79 resistor/capacitor (RC) circuit designed to take an encoming signal and slow it down essentially to make the puter think that you have a healthy set of cats. I drove both of my cars on with the (I think it was (P0430) engine code before I made both of my MILs and it ran fine and later I made my MILs and have put like 10,000 miles on them and life is good.

I hope this helps!