4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

99-04 Complete Interior Color Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 03:04 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

lol im with ANDY ^^^ but i love my black doesnt seem worth the money to me but whatever makes u happy
Old 11-19-2008, 03:09 PM
00' GT
2nd Gear Member

i have to agree, i love black interiors! although tan does look good in some cars! (just not mustangs!!)lol! well it can be fixed, i've changed the colors in alot of cars. it's just very tedious if done right! i wouldnt suggest dying the carpet, just get new, black. most of the parts should unscrew off, prep w/degreaser ( a must!) sand.....,...sand,......and sand! use a good primer, and dependending on the look you're after you may want to sand again, paint and clear coat! and clear coat! i'll be doing mine as well, it's a dark dark grey now, but will soon be black!! good luck, keep us informed!!
Old 11-19-2008, 05:09 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 00' GT
i have to agree, i love black interiors! although tan does look good in some cars! (just not mustangs!!)lol! well it can be fixed, i've changed the colors in alot of cars. it's just very tedious if done right! i wouldnt suggest dying the carpet, just get new, black. most of the parts should unscrew off, prep w/degreaser ( a must!) sand.....,...sand,......and sand! use a good primer, and dependending on the look you're after you may want to sand again, paint and clear coat! and clear coat! i'll be doing mine as well, it's a dark dark grey now, but will soon be black!! good luck, keep us informed!!
If you mean charcoal, just keep it the way it is unless you have a convertible and you can really tell the difference.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:17 PM
00' GT
2nd Gear Member

yea! might do that actually! except the carpet and some new seats! thanks for the idea!
Old 11-23-2008, 09:16 PM
optimus prime
2nd Gear Member

I'll have my black front and rear seats up for sale soon... shoot me a PM if you just want an easy bolt in option.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:54 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

i like my tan interior yes it is harder to keep clean
Old 11-23-2008, 09:57 PM
gec
2nd Gear Member

Hey Bro -- nothing like a black interior... Some cheap effective ways for u to accomplish this without breaking your budget and going crazy.

1st the carpet -- these guys are great done alot of business with them and its better than factory http://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCa...=8&ModelId=201

2nd the seats -- Now u got 2 choices -- you could hit up ebay and the junk yard see if you can grab them cheap...usually tough to find good condition cheap.. so option # 2 Katzkins Interiors can totally hook you up for probably cheaper then u can do option one with and the leather will be brand new. You can also do custom inserts, piping, and embroidering if you want http://www.katzkin.com/main.html

3rd all the plastics and vinyls --- I suggest you revinyl or take the opportunity to leather or suede wrap all the pieces. If you know someone who upholsters thats great if not stay away from custom shops you'll pay through the roof. Find someone in you area who does furniture and approach them about the project. They will most likely do it dirt cheap. Also, don't be afraid to try this yourself. You will be surprised how quick the learning curve is. All you need is some material, glue, a sewing machine and a couple of tools.. Start with the easy small plastic pieces and work ur way from there.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:02 AM
Blk N Wht GT
2nd Gear Member

Alright, thanks for all the responses guys. I think my main concern wasn't so much acquiring the black interior parts as much as installing them, because between eBay, items for sale on the forum, and a variety of websites, I can pretty much get all the interior parts. Since I've gone with the black and white theme on the outside, I've always kinda wanted the black interior to match but it looked like it would be way out of my price range.

@ SSFenris - Recently however, I've decided I want to go with the Corbeau Racing Seats myself as well and they don't make tan ones, so my only other realistic option is black.

And black seats on a tan interior would look kinda weird I think. So then I started checking out interior swaps in some more detail.

@ sxynerd - I planned on keeping the cluster because it's hooked up to the ECU and it's black already. However, what do you mean about the single/double din? Would I need to replace the Mach 460 headunit I currently have installed?

@ gec - Thanks for the reply and the links. I saw a used, takeout carpet for 100 bucks on eBay, but for the 110, stockinteriors.com seems to have quite a bargain. I had planned on just acquiring the interior panels from a junkyard because they couldn't be in too bad of shape.

It seems my last concern is the headliner. Where would I go about getting one of those and how do I replace it?
Old 11-24-2008, 01:20 AM
gec
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blk N Wht GT
@ gec - Thanks for the reply and the links. I saw a used, takeout carpet for 100 bucks on eBay, but for the 110, stockinteriors.com seems to have quite a bargain. I had planned on just acquiring the interior panels from a junkyard because they couldn't be in too bad of shape.

It seems my last concern is the headliner. Where would I go about getting one of those and how do I replace it?

Black Suede right over the existing headliner.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:11 AM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

I kinda dig tan on a black car. I've got tan also on my black car, but if i really had to make a choice id probably go with a black interior too i guess.

How do you guys feel about black racing seats on a tan interior?

Quick Reply: 99-04 Complete Interior Color Swap