4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Suspension Noise??? PLEASE Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 05:52 AM
Blinkstang
1st Gear Member

Default Suspension Noise??? PLEASE Help!!

I recently changed up my suspension on my 2002 GT. Went with some H&R Sport Springs (1.6" Front Drop, 1.5" Rear Drop), Tokico HP Shocks/Struts, and some Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates. I have had this setup about a month and a half. I also just got an alignment about 3 days ago.

Now, when I turn my wheel fully, like when entering a parking space or my driveway, my car sometimes makes this weird noise. I do not know how to really describe it, its kind of a clunking that just sounds like something is breaking. It comes from the front wheels. This only happens when my wheels are fully turned and im moving slowly into a space, it stops after the wheels begin to straighten out. I think it may only be the drivers side left wheel, everytime that I remember hearing the noise it came from that general area.

What could it be?? It just sounds real bad! Like something is breaking, with a consistent clunk to it. I know it has to deal with the lowering of my car, but does anyone know what is making this noise and what I need to buy to eliminate it? I just got an alignment and that did not solve anything.

Thanks 4 the help!
Old 05-28-2005, 12:32 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: Suspension Noise??? PLEASE Help!!

that's the problem with changin the front end geometry on a car by lowering it. Mine does it on the passenger side, but I can't find a damn thing wrong with it and neither can any real mechanics.

I'd get it looked at though because it can't be good. I have just decided to live with it and if something breaks, at least I will know what's wrong LOL.

Let me know if you find out what's going on though.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:33 PM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

did you intsall it yourself? if so you might want to have it looked at by a proffessional......barring that make sure that the end of your spring coil is in the right position. there is a mark and i believe it is to be situated to the rear.....but i could be mistaken.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:16 PM
tomabram
3rd Gear Member

Thats why I always take my car the a pro. Things happen when you get cheap and try and do it yourself.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:29 PM
Blinkstang
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I had it installed by a professional. I know the springs all went in the correct location, they were marked for front and rear.

On another board I posted on someone said it could be the tie rods. Do any of you think this could be the case?
Old 05-28-2005, 11:00 PM
whitehorsegt
1st Gear Member

i was goin say that it could be ur tie rods...
Old 05-28-2005, 11:37 PM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

does it make the noise when you hit a firm bump or only when you turn?
Old 05-29-2005, 04:28 AM
Blinkstang
1st Gear Member

Only when I turn.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:35 AM
Lucifer Burns

The now more compressed spring might have the last two turns overlapping and rubbing which makes a noise like you decribed. Same thing happend when I lowered my 95 eclipse and took me a while to figure out why. If that is it then it's no big deal and you could just get shorter springs.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:03 PM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

I have an 04 GT that is lowered as well. Whenever I am turning around in my driveway, I get that familiar clunking sound. That is just a by-product of lowering a car. These car's suspensions were designed the way they are for a reason. When we go to lowering, we are just throwing the design out the window. Most of the clucking is associated with something known as bump steer. Contrary to popular belief, bump steer is not only common in F1 and Stock Cars, but also in passenger cars as well. Bump steer is a steering effect resulting from toe or camber changes as the suspension moves up and down. So as you turn, and the suspension changes, the car binds causing this effect. My suggestion is this: Get offset rack bushings. This will help out a little bit. Other then that, just learn to live with it. It's nothing real harmful.

Quick Reply: Suspension Noise??? PLEASE Help!!