4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Clutch Help....

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 09:04 AM
creektrack

Exclamation Clutch Help....

A friend of mine needs some advice on his clutch....He has an 03 GT, all stock except and CAI, larger TB and Plenum, and exhaust....Well he went to get his oil changed and they stripped the drain plug, so it had to go to another shop and they replaced his entire oil pan because of it....Well his car has about 6x,xxx miles on it and he said after leaving the shop it felt like the clutch pedal wasn't right, that was about a week or two ago, well yesterday, he drove home and got out of the car to check his mail and when he got back in he went into reverse and the clutch just all the sudden had a really short stroke to it....He called the shop and they said it just has to readjust itself....Is this true or is there something else? I checked it this morning and it has a regular stroke to it but it engages and disengages about an inch or two from the floor.....Any help....and thanks in advacne...
Old 11-20-2008, 09:16 AM
jlg32281
2nd Gear Member

Look, it's hard to say what's wrong, but a new clutch is cheap if you do it yourself. Buy one of the $100 clutch kits on ebay, pay a local shop $30-$50 to have the flywheel re-surfaced. Reassemble it and you're done. With 60K on the odometer, if it's not gone, it's probably not in great shape anyway. Good luck.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:23 AM
creektrack

Are you serious? There is no way in hell that the clutch is the problem with 60k miles....Especially the way he drives, he babies that car, he's not a racer, he just loves GT's.....But to give you a better understanding, if you have ever had a cable clutch and shortened your clutch cable, that's what it feels like, it's not the pressure plate going out or anything like that, it just seems as if for some reason the stroke on his clutch pedal has been severly shortened....
Old 11-20-2008, 12:52 PM
creektrack

Can anyone help before the days over, he doesn't like driving it in this condition cuz he's afraid of messin somethin up and it's his only car so he has to drive it....
Old 11-20-2008, 01:41 PM
creektrack

I'm suprised I've gotten such lil help....Ya'll should have never banned oxfordgt, he was always able to help me....
Old 11-20-2008, 03:58 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Man how old are you??? First you ask for advice and then it seems as though you get pissed off. Check it out guy my clutch went out 2 weeks ago and my car is not a daily driver (maybe five times a month). Yeah I have more mods than your buddy but sh** happens. If you don't want our advice google it!
Old 11-20-2008, 05:13 PM
creektrack

I'm just dissapointed....The site has changed it's looks and slowed down a lot, and on top of that, I've always gotten an answer to any question I had within a few hours....Like I said, they sould have never banned oxfordgt, he probly helped me more than anyone on here....
Old 11-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

http://www.corral.net/tech/drivetrain/clutcha.htm

that article explains how to manually reset the clutch, i did it and my clutch felt completely different afterwords. its a white plastic hook tab, it moves when you move the clutch and its hard kinda to get to (you dont have to remove anything, just back your seat up and look up there with a flashlight), it clicks if you pull on it or push (dont remember exactly)

this is a side view of it looking toward drivers door, its somewhere above the brake/gas pedels and moves if you move the clutch, i circled it in this pic
Old 11-20-2008, 08:54 PM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by creektrack
I'm suprised I've gotten such lil help....Ya'll should have never banned oxfordgt, he was always able to help me....
LOL.............WOW! Dude let me be the first to apologize for the entire MF community. If i recall, oxford is military so let me say i'm sorry on his behalf that he can't put down his weapon and pick up his laptop to answer a question that could have been easily answered by stepping into or even calling your local mechanic. Instead of sitting in front of your computer waiting for people who work 8-10 hrs a day to cater to you every request, why not go out and buy a Haynes Manual for your friend and have him read up on his car. As for bashing the site, dude there are several other forums you can join. NO ONE is begging you stay here.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:28 AM
creektrack

Originally Posted by 02 Ninja
LOL.............WOW! Dude let me be the first to apologize for the entire MF community. If i recall, oxford is military so let me say i'm sorry on his behalf that he can't put down his weapon and pick up his laptop to answer a question that could have been easily answered by stepping into or even calling your local mechanic. Instead of sitting in front of your computer waiting for people who work 8-10 hrs a day to cater to you every request, why not go out and buy a Haynes Manual for your friend and have him read up on his car. As for bashing the site, dude there are several other forums you can join. NO ONE is begging you stay here.
If I'm not mistaken, you and I have had words before....And if oxfordgt is in the military then why does his account say banned? If he was deployed then it would still be active not banned, DEE DEE DEE.....And I wasn't asking to be catered by anyone, and yes every single time I had asked a question on here it was answered almost immediatly, mostly by oxfordgt, and I wasn't depending on him to answer it this time, I was just simply saying that if he was here he would have answered my question, he always did.....And lastly, I stayed here cuz it WAS the most helpfull site I found but obviously not anymore....Oh and by the way, I work 8-10 hours everyday as well, and so does my friend, which is why it's sometimes easier to ask someone online rather than take it to a mechanic, cuz neither of us have the time to get there while their still open and then have the time left to get a rental car....Basically, if your not contributing your whoring, so please go do it somewhere else....

Quick Reply: Clutch Help....