4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Questions concerning a '96-98 vs new edge

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 10:24 PM
ayrton02
4th Gear Member

Default Questions concerning a '96-98 vs new edge

Hey, I was hoping some of you 4.6 guys could help me out. Right now, I have a v6 (see sig). It's slow. I'm hoping to get a ls1, but still want to have options - the 4.6, plus the f-bodies (except the ws6's) are ugly imo. I don't want to spend more than $8000 on the car so that throws the 4v out of the question. I know the non-p.i. 4.6 is gonna be about 2k cheaper than a new egde. Should I look for one of those and do a p.i. swap, or would I be better off with just getting the new edge. Also I heard Trick Flow is coming out with some badass heads for the 4.6 next year... I think it was for the 2v, not sure.

Could you guys give me the most efficient and economical route to safely get the 2v to 300+ rwhp without F/I my best guess is h/c/i which if I did on my v6 would only get me about 240rwhp. Should I worry about the mileage on the car since I would probably end up rebuilding the engine... anything over 100k is a bit too much regardless? Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:52 AM
RuffCat
3rd Gear Member

Well if you only have $8k to spend, you can forget about that 300rwhp dream. However, there's no reason you cannot get a new edge for about that price. I would stay away from the 96-98 GT's as being a previous owner, that motor didn't last 500 miles and I yanked it and put in a cobra motor. Go PI or go home I have said. You'll save money and headaches in the long run. A stock PI GT will put down 220rwhp all day long. Add a CAI and an O/R h-pipe and you'll be at your 240rwhp. Those 2 mods are very cheap.

Ohh, just to throw some salt in an open wound. I just sold my 97gt with the cobra swap and a vortech s/c with 473rwhp for $10k I had nearly $25k invested into. Every mod you could think of!
Old 11-22-2008, 01:27 AM
_Slowbra_
2nd Gear Member

I picked up my 4v for a around $9k....so save a little longer and shop around. It took me almost a year of searching every single day to find a car i HAD to have, and then I found my Cobra. Just save a little, and shop around a lot. 300rwhp is a ton easier to do in a Cobra than a GT(esp. a non-PI GT). You say you dont want to spend more than $8k, when you can just shop around and get a nice 4v for a little extra coin, not to mention that youre going to have to spend that extra cash on mods to get any GT to the power level that a 4v already has.

Plus, mod for mod 4v>3v>2v later on down the road...nobody ever stops at 300rwhp.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:14 AM
avenged_motorhead
1st Gear Member

LOL wish u werent so far away i was going to sell my 99 gt for 8k, slp cat back, jlt cai, and a vortech head unit w/ bracket, o and i have the new pi intake with the aluminum cross over.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:39 AM
jmac72187
corner carver

If you want 300rwhp without FI just go 4v.

Your options are 2v + a lot of mods

or

4v and a couple mods.

Either way you are spending more money. I would rather buy the car that will be worth more when I sell it rather than having a bunch of mods that won't increase the value.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:15 AM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

I picked up a 97 Cobra recently for 5000.00. It has 141k on it but I swear it runs like a brand new car - it must be highway miles and must have been driven easy. It is completely stock (right down to the air cleaner) and even with the 3.27 gear still runs like a beast.

The motor does not leak oil and is very clean. With forged internals I am hoping to get a few more good miles out of it - it doesn't smoke and I only drive it on the weekends. I do sit in my garage and look at it a lot So - leave the 2v alone as the Cobra's are out there and the deals on them can be quite good.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:42 AM
ayrton02
4th Gear Member

Well, there are a few factors that will influence me either getting another car or not. Mainly if I'm going to being working and still able to go to college my junior year in fall 09. I plan on trying to make the purchase around Christmas 09 to summer 2010 (I'm gonna try and pay cash for the car)... if all goes down according to plan. By then Mach 1s should be selling around 10k easy and I might save up just to get one because they are so damn sweet (best Mustang other than a termi imo).

What about the Trick Flow heads I mentioned??? On some thread I saw, 2v guys were going nuts because they are supposedly gonna be the best future mod by far for the 2v (kinda like the m112 adapter intake manifold was for the v6).
Old 11-22-2008, 11:28 AM
avenged_motorhead
1st Gear Member

All i have to say about them.......theyre purely going to be sick!
Old 11-22-2008, 11:38 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rokgtar
I picked up a 97 Cobra recently for 5000.00. It has 141k on it but I swear it runs like a brand new car - it must be highway miles and must have been driven easy. It is completely stock (right down to the air cleaner) and even with the 3.27 gear still runs like a beast.

The motor does not leak oil and is very clean. With forged internals I am hoping to get a few more good miles out of it - it doesn't smoke and I only drive it on the weekends. I do sit in my garage and look at it a lot So - leave the 2v alone as the Cobra's are out there and the deals on them can be quite good.

who forged the internals?
Old 11-22-2008, 12:10 PM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RuffCat
Well if you only have $8k to spend, you can forget about that 300rwhp dream. However, there's no reason you cannot get a new edge for about that price. I would stay away from the 96-98 GT's as being a previous owner, that motor didn't last 500 miles and I yanked it and put in a cobra motor. Go PI or go home I have said. You'll save money and headaches in the long run. A stock PI GT will put down 220rwhp all day long. Add a CAI and an O/R h-pipe and you'll be at your 240rwhp. Those 2 mods are very cheap.

Ohh, just to throw some salt in an open wound. I just sold my 97gt with the cobra swap and a vortech s/c with 473rwhp for $10k I had nearly $25k invested into. Every mod you could think of!
hahaha with a CAI and a midpipe you'll gain 20RWHP wow I haven't seen a BS comment on here for awhile. You'd see like 5rwhp from them hah. You also shouldn't pose your GT to be a cobra like in your sig. since you say 1997 Cobra, it's still really a GT, I mean I don't pose mine to be one just because I have the motor. +$25k to just get to not even 500rwhp, you must have gotten ripped off everywhere you went.

Quick Reply: Questions concerning a '96-98 vs new edge