4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

WTF? Cars stalling

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 08:55 PM
STANGTVERT
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: WTF? Cars stalling

My 2000 GT had the same problem a year ago, I diagnosed the problem myself with an OBD II reader, made a websearch, bought the part ($89.00) and replaced it myself , an easy bolt on. No problem since then, Dont mess up with the idle on the TB, leave it as it is.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17469/B2DC5777650B45F9B3350CC45772E025.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-29-2005, 09:04 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

ORIGINAL: STANGTVERT

ORIGINAL: Acer2428

On your t/b, you'll see it, it's the only one of that size. Screw it IN to raise your idle.

Dont do such a foolish thing, replacing or cleaning the IAC will fix the problem. Look at the scenario below copied and pasted from a website:

Question: 1996 Ford Mustang GT V8 mileage: 85,000. I'm at the end of my rope with Ford dealers and my Mustang. Several times every week the car will not start. I'll try to get it to start, but it acts like its not getting fuel. I'll give it fuel, and it will start, then it continually stalls until I get about five miles (this is a guess since the odometer doesn't work either) down the road. I have to give it a constant supply of fuel until it works out its kinks and runs correctly. Several dealers have taken a shot at it. I've been told everything from getting new plug wires (mine are fine) to the IAC Motor needs replaced. One dealer replaced a sensor on the engine, but it started acting up again shortly thereafter. Can you help?

Answer: Your problem is likely the idle air control motor (IAC). Replacing it should fix your stalling
t00l

Yes, it IS most likely the IAC, HOWEVER, I was giving him info on a TEMPORARY fix so that he can drive to the parts store, etc. Take it easy man.

Anywho, sorry about the vauge description. Stand on the pass side of the car. Look at the FRONT (you took pictures of the TOP) of the t/b. THere should be four bolt heads, one in each corner. In the upper right hand corner, there should be a little screw with a spring between the t/b and the bolt head. Tighten that down one turn, then start the car.

If you need more help, take a pic of the FRONT of the t/b and I can show you.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:50 PM
JonBeast

ORIGINAL: STANGTVERT

On your t/b, you'll see it, it's the only one of that size. Screw it IN to raise your idle.

Dont do such a foolish thing, replacing or cleaning the IAC will fix the problem. Look at the scenario below copied and pasted from a website:

Question: 1996 Ford Mustang GT V8 mileage: 85,000. I'm at the end of my rope with Ford dealers and my Mustang. Several times every week the car will not start. I'll try to get it to start, but it acts like its not getting fuel. I'll give it fuel, and it will start, then it continually stalls until I get about five miles (this is a guess since the odometer doesn't work either) down the road. I have to give it a constant supply of fuel until it works out its kinks and runs correctly. Several dealers have taken a shot at it. I've been told everything from getting new plug wires (mine are fine) to the IAC Motor needs replaced. One dealer replaced a sensor on the engine, but it started acting up again shortly thereafter. Can you help?

Answer: Your problem is likely the idle air control motor (IAC). Replacing it should fix your stalling
t00l

Yes, it IS most likely the IAC, HOWEVER, I was giving him info on a TEMPORARY fix so that he can drive to the parts store, etc. Take it easy man.

Anywho, sorry about the vauge description. Stand on the pass side of the car. Look at the FRONT (you took pictures of the TOP) of the t/b. THere should be four bolt heads, one in each corner. In the upper right hand corner, there should be a little screw with a spring between the t/b and the bolt head. Tighten that down one turn, then start the car.

If you need more help, take a pic of the FRONT of the t/b and I can show you.
Yea really STANGVERT, WTF, he was just describing the Temp. fix that I previously told sick to do until he could figure it out.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:19 PM
sickspeedgt
3rd Gear Member

OK, fixed her all up, running beautifully now, first i tried cleaning the IAC that didn't work, had to go to autozone to pick up a new one, thanks to all who helped, luckily i never messed with my idle so nothing to fix now
Old 05-30-2005, 02:29 PM
DuckyGt
3rd Gear Member

thats good that its fixed i had the same problem a couple of months ago my throttle body was sticking. Just put a accufab in now no worries.