4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Custom tune/Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 06:37 AM
aimhigh10

Default Custom tune/Dyno

What should I expect if I get my car custom tuned. It hasn't been tuned yet after all the mods. How much HP should I expect. Also, I think my gas mileage will improve, I hope. Anyone get a tune lately similar to mine. Just wondering what to expect. Thanks
Old 11-25-2008, 04:06 PM
aimhigh10

Anyone
Old 11-25-2008, 04:25 PM
devore86
2nd Gear Member

my guess would be 10-15....but then again, i havnt had a chance to dyno mine yet
Old 11-25-2008, 04:26 PM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

I don't think you have enough mods to really need a custom dyno tune...as long as your MAF is matched to your injectors and you have some MIL eliminators I think you're fine for now...maybe if you get some cams, then you might wanna get a tune......
Old 11-26-2008, 01:24 AM
aimhigh10

What do you all think about JMS mail order chips. I had one in the past with my 96 cobra and it worked out pretty well. I haven't heard about JMS lately.

I know that I don't have a ton of mods, but I know this car will run better with a custom chip. Mail order chip or Dyno custom chip, what do you all think based off of my mods.

Thanks for the advice
Old 11-26-2008, 01:29 AM
Ehmark
3rd Gear Member

My custom tune was well worth it. Check craigslist for an sct chip, i found one for $80 then tune was 300. With my cai xpipe and imrc delete i picked up an extra 13 rwhp.The best thing is going to be a race gas tune or the second bank in a switch chip though.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:06 AM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

On an SN95 with good tune it should be 10-15 RWHP on new edge its like 15-25 depends. It still good idea to get one car runs smooth and much better now.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:03 AM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by aimhigh10
What do you all think about JMS mail order chips. I had one in the past with my 96 cobra and it worked out pretty well. I haven't heard about JMS lately.

I know that I don't have a ton of mods, but I know this car will run better with a custom chip. Mail order chip or Dyno custom chip, what do you all think based off of my mods.

Thanks for the advice
Any car will run better with a custom tune regardless of mods...a bone stock Toyota Camry will run better with a custom tune...what I'm saying is that at this point your car does not NEED one, the horsepower you will gain is gonna be identical to the horsepower you would gain if your car had no mods at all...it's not like you're gaining horsepower because the car wasn't running right before the tune...however, if you're gonna get one then I would get a chip or tuner that allows for self tuning so you can make adjustments whenever you want or need to...

I just now saw that you swapped gears...the tune will adjust your speedometer correctly so I guess you do need a tune if only for that reason...

Last edited by DeathRattle; 11-26-2008 at 06:07 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:37 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Get it tuned. Even if you gain 5hp that's five more hp than you had before. Also you can make sure everything is working correctly. I'm getting my car dynoed next week just sucks that I have to drive over 2 hours to do it. The shop's that's doing my dyno will also be installing my subframe connectors. With a 1 hour dyno window and the subframe connectors installed it will be right at around $400.00.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:44 AM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Get it tuned. Even if you gain 5hp that's five more hp than you had before. Also you can make sure everything is working correctly. I'm getting my car dynoed next week just sucks that I have to drive over 2 hours to do it. The shop's that's doing my dyno will also be installing my subframe connectors. With a 1 hour dyno window and the subframe connectors installed it will be right at around $400.00.
C'mon man, you're seriously telling me that 5 extra hp is worth $400-$600...haha...!! that is the worst bargain I ever heard of...that's a nitrous set-up and you'd get a heck of a lot more than 5 hp...if anything you're gonna get maybe about 15hp and your speedometer will be correct (if it's not adjusted right now)...in any case I hope it comes out good...

Quick Reply: Custom tune/Dyno