4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

clutch smell.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 09:35 PM
tb03gt
1st Gear Member

Default clutch smell.

after driving hard when i get out of my car i always smell something that seems like it could be related to my clutch or transmission or something. also when i shift really hard into third there is a squeaking sound (no not my tires.... ive only done that a few times) so i think my clutch might be starting to slip, or could the squeaking and the possible slip be fixed by changing my transmission fluid. can anyone explain what burnt transmission fluid smells like? and how often do you have to change the fluid with a manual transmission.

thanks for the help.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:11 PM
00GT00
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: clutch smell.

ORIGINAL: tb03gt

after driving hard when i get out of my car i always smell something that seems like it could be related to my clutch or transmission or something. also when i shift really hard into third there is a squeaking sound (no not my tires.... ive only done that a few times) so i think my clutch might be starting to slip, or could the squeaking and the possible slip be fixed by changing my transmission fluid. can anyone explain what burnt transmission fluid smells like? and how often do you have to change the fluid with a manual transmission.

thanks for the help.

If your 'smoking' the clutch you would know. It has a very distinct smell, kind of hard to explain on the interweb. But if you let me drive your car I could show you[8D]. Any ways, even if you change the fluid in the tranny its not going to help the clutch. I have never heard of a standard tranny burning the fluid to a point you can smell it. Thats more an automatic thing. But, if it continues and/or gets worse it might be worth a trip to the dealer, as long as its under warranty.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:20 PM
tb03gt
1st Gear Member

hahahaha warranty.... my car is under a salvage title, cause i bought it after it had been totaled, but the body shop did a really good job, people dont believe me when i tell them. this smell is pretty distinct. i work at a body shop and i had to pick up some parts from a bmw dealership and when i was walkin though the parking lot i smelled it and immediately knew it was the same smell.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:58 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Clutch reminds me of new brake pads, similar staaaaank.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:52 PM
ethanolabuse

Hey, the smell you are encountering is most likely your brakes if you are driving it as hard as you say you are. I have the same sqeaking problem you have, and luckily for me I have a friend who works as a ford mechanic, he claims that all 4.6L's whether it'd be in a car or in a truck, at high RPM's the belt actually slips on the pulley, and creates a sqeaking sound, he has told me that there hasn't been a recall, and it's what Ford calls normal. He has warrantied me PLENTY of parts, so I really don't doubt him when he tells me things. But You gotta make up your own mind...... Later man
ORIGINAL: tb03gt

thanks for the help.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:37 AM
DreamKing
2nd Gear Member

If the clutch is slipping acceleration will slowly deteriorate to the point that the car won't be able to move.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:39 PM
tb03gt
1st Gear Member

yeah i used to drive a standard jeep and the clutch went out so ive gone through it before, when you hit the gas the rpms go up but you dont go anywhere. my brakes are having problems too so maybe thats it.