4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Hard Shift (sucks)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Fobra
Banned

Well sorry but the problem was probably you and then went to the snychros and probably the forks. The manual says your supposed to do two consecutive forward gear shifts before shifting into reverse, and sometimes you have to do this procedure more than once (re-setting the clutch again) your 1st -2nd and 3rd -4th problems are common place for new drivers, its you not the shifter... most people change shifters trying to correct a problem that doesnt exist. The reason your doing it is probably because 1) your getting to excited and fudging up (possibly) or 2) your not used to the angle at which you have to apply force, its weird, I know we all go through it in the begining, but give a few weeks, dont force anything ever! eventually youll get to be smooth as butter.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:32 PM
OzzDOA
3rd Gear Member

The best way to adjust the clutch quadrant is to crawl under the dash and do it by hand. The adjustment procedure in the manual is useless. If you are getting a high-pitched squeek when shifting you might have a slagged throw-out bearing which would also cause difficult shifts. Either way if its not the clutch quadrant you have to drop the trans.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:40 PM
89LX Coupe
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by OzzDOA
The best way to adjust the clutch quadrant is to crawl under the dash and do it by hand. The adjustment procedure in the manual is useless. If you are getting a high-pitched squeek when shifting you might have a slagged throw-out bearing which would also cause difficult shifts. Either way if its not the clutch quadrant you have to drop the trans.
My g/f's 01gt w/ a stock clutch does this when I powershift into 3rd around 6k or so. So your saying this could possibly be throw-out bearing b/c I always thought it was just the belt squeaking... And what do you mean by slagged?

OP I would think the whole problem would either be the synchros or the clutch going out.

Last edited by 89LX Coupe; 12-05-2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Dan's Cobra

Originally Posted by Fobra
Well sorry but the problem was probably you and then went to the snychros and probably the forks. The manual says your supposed to do two consecutive forward gear shifts before shifting into reverse, and sometimes you have to do this procedure more than once (re-setting the clutch again) your 1st -2nd and 3rd -4th problems are common place for new drivers, its you not the shifter... most people change shifters trying to correct a problem that doesnt exist. The reason your doing it is probably because 1) your getting to excited and fudging up (possibly) or 2) your not used to the angle at which you have to apply force, its weird, I know we all go through it in the begining, but give a few weeks, dont force anything ever! eventually youll get to be smooth as butter.
That's funny because I didn't know that the manual states we actually have to throw it in a couple of forward gears before throwing it into reverse. I just did it because it just works about half the time. I think it might be my clutch quadrant or engaging because this early morning (and couple times before) to back out I threw it in 5th (with holding in the clutch all the way as usual) the gear grinded as if the clutch was partially engaged , so I'm guessing the clutch isn't fully disengaged, maybe?
Old 12-10-2008, 04:30 PM
stallion11030
2nd Gear Member

how do you adjust the clutch quadrant??? dont you have to buy an adjustable one?
Old 12-10-2008, 04:32 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Dan's Cobra
Ok I checked the trans level and it's fine. So I am going to check the clutch quadrant next (can some one point me in the right direction?) Also, I forgot to mention, sometimes when I shift it makes a chirp/squeak noise, high pitch. More like a chirp from a bird lol. Sounds like a clutch slippage? but its probably not. Happens usually on 1-2 shift and 2-3 shift when I'm shifting around 4k rpm; driving faster than usual. I'm starting to think my problem has something to do with the syncrhos.

What does "it's fine" mean? If it's up to the fill hole the it's over-filled by nearly a quart. There's a TSB (TSB 04-15-6 click here) that addresses difficult 1-2 and 2-3 shifting, and among other things specifies only using 3.0 L (3.2 qt) of fluid in the tranny. This is about 5/8" below the fill hole.

This is to minimise the potential for hydrostatic locking of the shift rods and detents, and it makes BIG difference in the way the tranny shifts.