4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Hard Shift (sucks)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 06:26 PM
Dan's Cobra

Default Hard Shift (sucks)

Hi eveyone I just got my 99 cobra I love it, but I have some shifting issues with it. It's mainly the 1-2 shift and 2-3 shift that sucks and sometimes the reverse grind too. At high rpm/wot, when shifting 1-2 or 2-3, it will not allow me to shift into that gear! Even with extensive force I would have to wait a lil for it to allow me (by then the rpms would drop). Also whenever I would shift 1-2, there would be a "half click" before allowing it to fully engage (not sure if that's normal). Also, on the reverse gear, there will be that typical grind, so i would throw it in 5th then R. Sometimes I would do that procedure and have the clutch fully engaged and i can sometimes still feel the gear grinding when barely in R. The most wierdest thing happened too; when I threw it in reverse, I backed out then tried to throw it in 1st, but it was stuck in Reverse! No matter how hard i pushed it was just stuck. So i just held in the clutch while my buddy got in the back seat and kicked the shifter outta place this has happened two other times. I bought the mgw short shifter, hoping that would fix it but it didnt. So yeah i have this little problem and I am wondering what it is. I think it might be the synchros or the shift forks?
Old 12-02-2008, 11:15 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

first start simple, did you check the fluid?
Old 12-02-2008, 11:23 PM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman02232
first start simple, did you check the fluid?
I just realized there are 2 "mustangman's" I got confused there for a minute....

+1 on the fluid... if it is fine sounds like some bad Synchros!
Old 12-03-2008, 02:11 AM
Dan's Cobra

That's funny i didn't even think of the trans fluid level. I'll check it tomorrow morning. Its underneath the car on the passenger side right? Does anyone know if i have to use a 3/8 ratchet to unscrew the thingy or is there a transparent window?
Old 12-03-2008, 02:25 AM
ChucksBullitt
2nd Gear Member

gotta take a ratchet to it
Old 12-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

My car is doing the same thing but only into third gear. Just had the tranny filled and the clutch replaced. What could it be? What's a bad syncro? Is it easy to fix?
Old 12-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Bullitt2theHead
1st Gear Member

syncros basically rev match the next gear for you. barring a long drawn out description, they have teeth that wear down over time/with abuse. To replace them you gotta take the tranny apart, pull gears on a press blah blah blah. And a t-45 isnt the easiest tranny to dig into (not like the t-5, by any means...)

That and t-45's have shift fork problems. The reverse issue is the 5th/reverse shift fork. Theres a tsb on it.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:10 PM
zinc02gt281
1st Gear Member

Go to Promotion Powertrain and order a T45 rebuild kit...

I'm gonna say that the previous owner drove your car like a Ferrari and slammed the gears WAY too hard...

Synchro replacement isn't cheap. About a month after I got my GT, the 3rd gear synhcro went out in normal, everyday driving. The previous owner "Anger Banged" it into 3rd and it blew out. Spent $553 on the rebuild for 3rd gear, 3rd gear synchro, and 3rd gear blocking ring.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:40 AM
OzzDOA
3rd Gear Member

Check the fluid, but T-45s aren't as "sensitive" to fluid levels as the TR3650 is. Also make sure the the clutch quadrant is adjusted properly. If its not the fluid or clutch quadrant then it is most likely the synchros.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Dan's Cobra

Ok I checked the trans level and it's fine. So I am going to check the clutch quadrant next (can some one point me in the right direction?) Also, I forgot to mention, sometimes when I shift it makes a chirp/squeak noise, high pitch. More like a chirp from a bird lol. Sounds like a clutch slippage? but its probably not. Happens usually on 1-2 shift and 2-3 shift when I'm shifting around 4k rpm; driving faster than usual. I'm starting to think my problem has something to do with the syncrhos.

Quick Reply: Hard Shift (sucks)