4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

cracked intake - please help

Old 12-19-2008, 02:50 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Default cracked intake - please help

I have a 99 GT with 4.10s and a lot of suspension upgrades. I'm pretty sure I just cracked the hell out of my intake. I pulled into the parking lot of my destination and when I got out of the car there was steam coming from underneath the car. It smelled like coolant which worried me but the temp gauge was in the middle. So I just shut it off and went inside and when I came back about 30 mins later, the coolant was all over the cement and none left in the reservoir. The hoses all look just fine and there is a big pool of coolant on the top of the engine block underneath the intake manifold so I'm almost 100% sure that the intake is cracked. Sounds right to you guys?

If so, I would like to just buy a PP typhoon and replace it so this wont happen again. But how hard is it to replace the intake? I've done shocks and struts and springs and control arms. Also a strut tower brace, cc plates and catback. I also do all the maintenance on the car, including brakes. So is this a task I can handle myself over the holiday break?

How much am I looking at to have it done in a shop and is it even worth putting a new plastic intake in just so it can break in the future?

I guess I just want to make sure that it is a cracked intake for sure before I have it towed to my house and order the parts I need. I'll take any other related advice as well. Thanks for your help, guys. This is a nightmare for me right now..
Old 12-19-2008, 03:42 PM
edouglass77

I thought that by 99 Ford had corrected that issue. Does your intake not have an aluminum coolant crossover? Maybe I'm just wrong. But if it is a plastic crossover, the newer factory replacement units have the aluminum crossover, in which case you shouldn't have the problem again.

It isn't that hard of a job, but be super careful nothing falls into the intake ports, this happened to me and I bent a valve, ended up just replacing the motor.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:53 PM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

Im pretty sure in 99 it was still plastic, but there was a recall. The guy I bought my car off of, said he had the recall done. But it is probably too late for the recall anyway.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:56 PM
penceman
4th Gear Member

I had to put new gaskets on my intake. It wasnt that hard to take off. There is just a lot of wires and plugs that you have to disconnect and get out of the way. Be sure to label them. I took mine off and had it back on later the same day. Just search around the forums for write-ups on intakes and follow their instructions.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:20 PM
Mully24
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by getafewlives
Im pretty sure in 99 it was still plastic, but there was a recall. The guy I bought my car off of, said he had the recall done. But it is probably too late for the recall anyway.
Never hurts to try though. Call up a local ford dealership and ask them if they will still honor the recall (if it hasn't been fixed already).
Old 12-19-2008, 08:15 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

simple and easy to do.. theres a diy around here that covers it step by frikin step so that even a dummy could do it. no special tools or knowledge necessary.
Your 99 still has the plastic junk manifold, the problem wasnt fixed till 01.
Don't go with the Typhoon..it is junk from what i've heard. many people are reporting power loss with that manifold believe it or not.
The new manifold you buy won't bust like this one, because the new ones now usually have aluminum where the thermostat bolts, and the whole front is also aluminum..just don't buy anything made in china.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:28 PM
joaquinGT
2nd Gear Member

yeaa...no typhoon. its junk
Old 12-20-2008, 08:27 AM
BOSTANG
2nd Gear Member

This is something you can do not hard at all. Call Ford and they are going to wont about 1100 dollars. At that price that will make you learn how to do it your self.If it look to hard pm me with your # i can talk you though this.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:02 PM
04CompetitionOrange
3rd Gear Member

Save your money and get the stock replacement from American Muscle. Its only like $185 after the discount.

I went through the same exact situation about 2 weeks ago and did the repair myself. It is a very straight forward procedure, just take your time and label connections. We took our time but the repair could be done in a day for sure. Get new intake gaskets while you are in there as well.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:02 PM
GT35thconvertable
2nd Gear Member

Default typhoon

lol people crack me up with their opinions and no way to back it up. i had a 99 gt mustang with a 175 shot forged bottom end and dynoed 22 more hp with the typhoon than the stocker. so yes it is better than factory and does have hp gains..all i did between runs was change the intake from the stock to the satin typhoon and yes 22 hp..just some info to help make a desision..no question their are better intakes out their for 2v mustangs but i was pretty happy with the typhoon....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cracked intake - please help