4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I can't remove my oil filter....

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 11:43 PM
ajlouni

Default I can't remove my oil filter....

Hi I am trying to do a oil change to my car, and i got the drain plug off just fine. For the oil filter i have used 3 oil filter wrenches and bent all 3 of them, the damn thing is not coming off. I used a flat head screw driver and a hammer to try to move it and all it did was just make holes in the filter, how can i get that damn thing off?
Old 12-19-2008, 11:49 PM
ChucksBullitt
2nd Gear Member

if you can get some WD near the top of the filter it might help a bit.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:52 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

You need to use an Oil filter PLIER. Not a stupid wrench, they're nothing but trouble.
oil filter plier = 100% chance, no doubt of removing the filter.

The second best method in this sort of situation is probably the screw driver method..where did you punch holes on the filter? do it on the very bottom, where the grip squares are. That is the Steel re-enforced portion of the filter.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:59 PM
ajlouni

i pu nched holes in like the middle, so i should punch holes on the grip squares?

Originally Posted by Jbauer
You need to use an Oil filter PLIER. Not a stupid wrench, they're nothing but trouble.
oil filter plier = 100% chance, no doubt of removing the filter.

The second best method in this sort of situation is probably the screw driver method..where did you punch holes on the filter? do it on the very bottom, where the grip squares are. That is the Steel re-enforced portion of the filter.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:03 AM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

yes put the holes there where jbauer said. If that doesn't work I would definately use oil filter pliers they always work when band filter wrenches don't.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:06 AM
ajlouni

ok i will do the hole thing tommorrow morning its too dark right now

Originally Posted by vanquish
yes put the holes there where jbauer said. If that doesn't work I would definately use oil filter pliers they always work when band filter wrenches don't.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:43 AM
kenv
4th Gear Member

Good luck with that. It sounds like someone put the filter on too tight. If you ruin the "can" ( the outside of the filter ), you are going to have to use a hammer & a chisel to get the gasket plate off the filter boss. Just remember that they are only supposed to be put on " hand tight ". Thats usualy about 1/4 to 1/2 of a turn after the gasket makes contact.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:09 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Who's putting those filters on so tight?? ...once hand tight, I use the wrench for 1/4 turn on the filter!
Old 12-20-2008, 09:04 AM
Mully24
1st Gear Member

I just had this same exact problem last week. Those oil filter wrenches suck ***. After putting a hole in mine I finally just had it towed (free from AAA) to my local shop and it cost an extra $20. They even said their mechanic struggled with it lol.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:37 AM
0mustangGT2
1st Gear Member

another good thing if its corroded put some brake cleaner on it just dont get it on anything rubber

Quick Reply: I can't remove my oil filter....