4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

how f***** am i?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 03:38 AM
Nrre
1st Gear Member

Default how f***** am i?

Driving home tonight in the lovely single digit temps. Car started lurching some. I'm doing 40ish mph in 5th gear going up/down hills so i assume its just from getting on/off the gas to maintain speed.

As I am coming to a stoplight the car lurches hard, revs up to 3k and drops (in neutral). As i stop at the light the idle bounces from 300 to 1k. I am about 1/4 mile to my house. I realize as the light goes green and I make my left turn i have NO OIL PRESSURE...I decided at the time I was close enough I should be able to limp it home...I am about 500 feet from my house and the engine makes a very sweet metal grinding on metal sound...i am at 1200rpms limping it up a small hill to pull into the parking lot at my apartment complex...

Park it. Get out, nothing dripping...Temp Gauge never went past 1/2 way.

I get the joy of going out in single digit temps tomorrow, while watching my 8 month old son while the wife works, and trying to figure out what happened to my car. I am worried more that the engine is screwed from driving it with no oil pressure. Sitting here now I feel I should of coasted down the hill from the light and pulled into the closest parking lot, which is about 50 feet from the light.

Was having the best day ever, went to my first NFL game, 49ers beat the Rams, amazing...now this **** ruins everything.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:51 AM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

NEVER DRIVE WITH NO OIL PRESSURE!!!! not even 1 foot. maybe its a faulty gauge but thats rare. bye bye rod and main bearings and hello new short block!!
Old 12-22-2008, 10:14 AM
ooterman
2nd Gear Member

I had a fun time once replacing a starter and some other goodies on a 89 Saab once just to find out that the oil drain plug somehow got knocked out and there was no oil in it. Bye bye Saab.

Check your fluids and go from there, prey for a shorting computer or something and not a dead block.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:20 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Bye Bye Engine... Just save you pennies and buy a junkyard motor and replace it in the spring or buy a built short block.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:03 AM
mustangman36578
2nd Gear Member

yep. your bearings are toast. look for a new shortblock or just replace all the internals on that block. either way its a lot of $$.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:10 PM
crewwolfy
2nd Gear Member

Hindsight is always 20/20. Have you filled it up with oil and started it up? Any road obstacles (hideous potholes, chucks of ice) that could have made the nasty sound?

I took my car in to have the oil changed, less than a quart came out. And that's including the half-quart of oil conditioner I put in that morning. The gauge on the dash lied to me. Anyway, had the oil changed again last week with no issues. Mine survived (admittedly with no grinding noises), perhaps yours will too.

I don't mean to get your hopes up, as it does sound bad. But do what you can. Good luck..
Old 12-22-2008, 05:09 PM
Nrre
1st Gear Member

oil is fine...no leaks, oil is just below the 'full' line.

my only assumption is the oil pump went out...or the gauge is lieing...but it made horrible metal grinding sounds...and if i blipped the gas they got much worse.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:11 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nrre
oil is fine...no leaks, oil is just below the 'full' line.

my only assumption is the oil pump went out...or the gauge is lieing...but it made horrible metal grinding sounds...and if i blipped the gas they got much worse.
Sounds like your pretty much screwed with either of those.... Change your oil and look for metal filings in the oil.
If you got filings in there, your pretty much toast.

Time for a 4V swap.....

Lynn
Old 12-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Fobra
Banned

or you could just replace the stock bearings and stuff and not be out much.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:52 PM
E714FEVER
3rd Gear Member

That sucks but lesson learned I guess. Never drive a car with no oil pressure.