4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Stangmods HID kit failed again

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 08:00 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Default Stangmods HID kit failed again

I had issues with this kit last year, I was able to track the problem down to a bad ballast (it kept blowing fuses). Stangmods finally did the right thing and replaced the kit... but I'm having issues again.

The lights will not turn on. They worked fine last night. All fuses are ok (kit's fuse, left side low beam, high beam, general headlamp fuses).

Only change is that I removed the battery last night, and re-installed it today.

If I switch to the high beams, I hear the relay in the kit click like normal, but the ballasts never buzz, or do anything else normal. Neither side works. There is only the positive battery connection, and its fused, pulling the fuse causes the relays to stop clicking.

The lights still never come on, even with the high beams.

I'm at a loss this time, I don't have a multimeter available. I've checked all connections at both sides, looking for some sort of diagnosis. Going to break down the kit, remove it totally, and put it back in and see if I have any luck. I'm really restraining anger this time.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Emanpimpster
3rd Gear Member

check grounds? i have the same kit in 6000K and havent really had any problems. Kinda nervous about what to do when **** starts breakin or bulbs burn out.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:53 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Just an update here to this thread.

That night, the kit didn't work, but the relays kept clicking... I let it sit over night. Tried it the next morning, still no luck. Drove to go get lunch, went in and ate... when I came back out, I decided to try the lights again.

Passenger side came on! Driver's side did not. Just great, I figured. I waited a minute with them off, and tried again.

This time, driver's side came on, passenger side did not. Now I know the kit is just shot again.

Tried it a third time and they worked fine! They worked fine the rest of the night (who KNOWS what I was thinking when I actually trusted them to get me home that night). Yesterday, tried to get them to work because it was EXTREMELY foggy outside (less than 100 ft visibility)... and who could have guessed, they don't work any more. They do not turn on at all any more, the relays no longer click. The connection to the stock headlight plug is fine, the grounds are still good. All fuses are still fine (I figured one may have gone bad since the relays don't even click any more).

This is the 4th time I've had a problem with one of their kits, I've had the old version of the kit (with the big ballasts) twice, and the new version now with the thin ballasts. I treat the lights right, never leave them on when starting the car, always let them warm up before turning them off, or if they have been on, wait a little before turning them back on... I've been cautious because of how many times they have failed but look, they have failed again. It's dumb at this point that I have to keep stock headlight bulbs in my car, "just in case"...
Old 12-28-2008, 02:51 PM
shaun12
2nd Gear Member

Wow, thats beyond gay. I'd be pissed off to no end if spent $500 to upgrade all my lights to HID.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 12-28-2008, 03:56 PM
RED2000
2nd Gear Member

This is ShadowDrake, at my friend's, he's helping me diagnose this problem. Took off the plug for the controller module, and there's water in it, that seems to be the issue. The plug has rubber over it, and is taped up. It has been behind the headlight, not a high water area, and stangmods says the kit is 100% safe to underhood water...

Looks like it's not. Time to shoot stangmods an e-mail, hopefully I can get a replacement again.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:18 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

I have never had a problem with mine but then again I don't drive it in the rain, snow etc.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:05 PM
shaun12
2nd Gear Member

must be nice
Old 12-29-2008, 02:53 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
I have never had a problem with mine but then again I don't drive it in the rain, snow etc.
I normally wouldn't complain. I expect to have bad luck, things like this happen to me a lot.

But it's happened four times now, over and over again. I just looked in another HID thread to see an ebay kit that has come with the exact same parts and connections the $300 kit from stangmods has. Sure, you get the warranty from stangmods, but I mean, come on...

I'm not saying stay away (as I'm going to keep using them), the increased light output is worth it. It's horrible that things keep going totally wrong with the kit though. They should provide some instructions that note areas that are prone to water problems.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:29 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to check on my kit from them.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:47 PM
meansteedagt2004
1st Gear Member

Wow! Hows the kit from American Muscle I was thinking bout getting one but now I'm skepticle