4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

coilover spring rates?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 12:07 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

Default coilover spring rates?

so i've got a QA1 full front suspension in the front, with 12" x 225lb springs. ride is REALLY rough (feels like its gunna send the strut through the hood even on the smallest bumps) , and i've checked everything and the only thing i can think of is the spring rate might be too harsh?

wondering if anyone else is running coilovers on the front, and what spring rate? im not looking for the most comfortable ride, but something at least drivable. right now im scared to drive it because it feels like its gunna brake something...
Old 12-28-2008, 12:12 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zero2005
so i've got a QA1 full front suspension in the front, with 12" x 225lb springs. ride is REALLY rough (feels like its gunna send the strut through the hood even on the smallest bumps) , and i've checked everything and the only thing i can think of is the spring rate might be too harsh?

wondering if anyone else is running coilovers on the front, and what spring rate? im not looking for the most comfortable ride, but something at least drivable. right now im scared to drive it because it feels like its gunna brake something...
Might it be possible the suspension is binding, or hitting a stop? I do NOT have coil-overs but the rate on my current springs is near 600 lb/in, and it rides almost like stock. (Yes, the spring being farther out means you need a softer rate... but you're not running super stiff springs either.) It's kind of an obvious suggestion but at least it's somewhere to start as I fear you're not going to get any other replies on this question :/
Old 12-28-2008, 12:25 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

Well originally i had thought it was the struts bottoming out, since it was so low - it was about as low as yours in your sig. but i have since raised it back to stock height [loving the adjustable height] and i still have the same problem. if i push on the fender to try and get the car to 'bounce' it doesnt budge. so it could be a binding problem but where it could be happening i havent even the smallest clue. i even tried every position on the struts adjustment ****.

im not a fan of the rod a-arms that are on there, might switch to QA1's "Eco-comps" which uses rubber bushings instead of spherical bearings. they might be whats binding if thats what it is.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:44 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

"The spring rates must be converted into wheel rates. The wheel rate is the spring rate measured at the wheel. The conversion is done through the use of what's called the motion ratio. For a stock Fox Mustang front suspension, the wheel rate is 25% of the stock location spring's rate. For example, an 800 lb/in stock location spring has a wheel rate of 200 lb/in. For a coil-over suspension, the wheel rate is approximately 90% of the coil-over spring's rate. For example, a front coil-over spring rated at 350 lb/in would result in a wheel rate of about 315 lbs/in. Note: The exact motion ratio conversion of the wheel rate for a front coil-over suspension is determined by the angle of the strut. That angle is the result of the camber and caster settings, and by the SAI (Steering Axis Inclination)."

This is straight of maximum motorsports site and is one of the most useful pieces of info about coil-overs. This is only for the front though.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:13 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

aight, i kinda get that. but not really helping me? cept that it kinda explains that my springs have a wheel rate of like 200lb.

but here's what i checked. looked at the whole assembly, and on top of the spring i noticed that the top "perch" thing is slightly pressing against the strut tower. not sure if that makes any difference. second, i decided to test a couple of settings of the strut by adjusting it (did settings full clockwise, full counter clockwise, and middle) then i lifted up on the fender.

well what i observed is that when i pulled up on it, it went up like an inch no problem, and stayed up. then when i pushed down it would go back down but stay down. so im thinkin maybe bad struts? all settings were close to the same, but all had no bounce when i push down. not sure if that explains it as well as i would like but you should get the idea.