4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

PI SWAP DONE, NEED INFO ON TUNE

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 09:22 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

+1 listen to him^
Old 01-05-2009, 09:15 AM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 96GT226410
Don't listen to the above post. He obviously never needed a car tuned... You need to get your car dyno tuned after a PI swap. Yes, you can start it with your facory tune and you'll be fine to get it to a tuner. Just don't beat on it. Congrats on the swap.

Thats an interesting statement considering I used to work for SCT...............
Old 01-05-2009, 03:12 PM
98SN95
2nd Gear Member

Well, i started it up, everythings just fine, i put 93 in it with some octane booster, she idles fine, just waiting on the cooling fan, that was the reason for the rebuild. Now i noticed that with the handheld tuners i can change the timing and fuel, the thing is how do i know where it needs to be without any info on where the A/F is? air/fuel<. Some of the tuners come with data logging, that might tell me what i need to know to make adjustments, but cant help but think that maybe i might be overlooking something.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:13 PM
98SN95
2nd Gear Member

oh yeah i changed the oil pump too, to a cobra unit. next up is the gear.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:42 AM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

Originally Posted by nickmckinney
Thats an interesting statement considering I used to work for SCT...............
What? In shipping and receiving? Everybody knows mail order tunes are crap, bro. The one I was sent from SCT with my X3 was crap. My car ran like $hit. After a dyno tune the car ran a lot better, it idled, I had power, and my tuner buddies were even telling me how bad the mail order tune was on my car. I was lucky to get the car there with how bad it was running. Nobody that needs a tune on their car is running a mail order tune because they want to.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:17 PM
98SN95
2nd Gear Member

So basically i should not buy a sct or any tuner like that, what about the special forces tuning software?
Old 01-06-2009, 05:24 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 96GT226410
What? In shipping and receiving? Everybody knows mail order tunes are crap, bro. The one I was sent from SCT with my X3 was crap. My car ran like $hit. After a dyno tune the car ran a lot better, it idled, I had power, and my tuner buddies were even telling me how bad the mail order tune was on my car. I was lucky to get the car there with how bad it was running. Nobody that needs a tune on their car is running a mail order tune because they want to.

This is based on your single experience? Some of us out there can nail a mail order tune within a few percent on a mildly modded N/A car. What was modded so that you car had an idle problem? The original OP has a basically stock car, changing from NPI parts to PI parts don't change things that much at all tune wise. There are MANY cars running good with the tunes I wrote that I have never seen.

Here is a 129MPH 2V that has never seen a dyno, just a wideband and datalogging:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-hcUe-ynIA

BTW - Were you having problems with the preloaded X3 tunes? All SCT dealers are independent and make their own tunes, some are better than others I will admit.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:20 AM
98SN95
2nd Gear Member

ALL i have on my car is the pi swap, h-pipe, underdrives, k&n filter, and b&m shifter. Gonna do a gear change soon after the motor is broken in. I kinda thought about the two different tunes, and it seems to me that i shouldnt have to change the air/fuel and the spark advance that much, while my comp. ratio and flow went up a little, IT seems that the amount of adjustment i may need should be small. I really need to talk to someone who has done exactly my setup, and has used a handheld.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:20 AM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 98SN95
ALL i have on my car is the pi swap, h-pipe, underdrives, k&n filter, and b&m shifter. Gonna do a gear change soon after the motor is broken in. I kinda thought about the two different tunes, and it seems to me that i shouldnt have to change the air/fuel and the spark advance that much, while my comp. ratio and flow went up a little, IT seems that the amount of adjustment i may need should be small. I really need to talk to someone who has done exactly my setup, and has used a handheld.

Fuel curves and spark curves needed are basically the same between both heads/intakes. The best curve to start with is the stock one from a 04GT I found and that usually works for most people with maybe a few degrees added globally (only the tuner writing the tune can do this). The intake manifold has a different volume but that only affects the "anticipation" factor which is akin to an accelerator pump. The volume difference is small enough not to notice unless you get some cams too. The added flow is seen by the MAF so no changes are needed there.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:04 PM
98SN95
2nd Gear Member

OK, so the main reason i asked the question is cause i cant afford a dyno tune, i can hardly get the money together for a handheld, i was lookin at the sct 4-bank chip, maybe that would work for me? it only cost 259, which i can afford.

Quick Reply: PI SWAP DONE, NEED INFO ON TUNE