MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   changing motors? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/508817-changing-motors.html)

sycho 01-06-2009 05:43 PM

changing motors?

how hard or what all is involved with converting the 4.6 motor to the 32 valve aluminator motor? as far as wire harnesses, computers, trans ect. who has done this before?

boduke0220 01-06-2009 06:35 PM

aluminator? you mean Terminator right? lol i dont think its too bad from what i've heard, alot easier than swaping heads i'd imagine.

SSFenris 01-06-2009 06:43 PM

personally, I wouldn't waste your money on an Aluminator crate motor, as they've had some NASTY issues, like the crank pulley eating through the timing cover with less than 15 hours on the motor. If you can pick yourself up a Termi motor, by all means, make with the swapping. You are correct, the engine, harness, and I believe the computer need to be changed, the trans is reusable (gotta love Modular engineering), but if you've got the cash, a T-56 is a great upgrade. The swap itself is not difficult, it's basically just an R&I (remove and install) as both motors are designed to fit the same cradle (that is, unless you have a V-6, in which case you're going to need a new engine cradle).

mustangman36578 01-06-2009 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by boduke0220 (Post 5816784)
aluminator? you mean Terminator right? lol i dont think its too bad from what i've heard, alot easier than swaping heads i'd imagine.

an aluminator crate engine is not a terminator. terminators have cast iron blocks. ford racing sells a crate engine called the aluminator which had a couple problems but from what ive heard they worked it all out. the swap is not too bad. as long as you have a GT and not a v6 you can use the same harness, ECU, and many of the same sensors (crank position, cam position, ect.). the parts you will need to get is a cobra throttle cable and cruise control cable, all different coolant tubing, cobra thermostat housing, cobra intake tubing (either cold air raim air or stock) and cobra intake lower and upper and at least 24# injectors. you will have to do some lengthening to your stock harness and swith the polarity going to the coil over plugs. you will need cobra exhaust manifolds or headers too. other than that it bolts in just like a GT. you will need to get a tune after you put it in too because the spark curve is different.

Yellow Fever 01-07-2009 09:19 AM

It's not hard . It's expensive if you don't do it right . Try to find a fully dressed
donor engine and go from there . I built my Cobra engine from scratch . Using only
brand new parts . And it was really expensive . But then I got exactly what I wanted .

sycho 01-07-2009 11:43 AM

its a 2004 supercharged saleen so it has the gt 4.6. did some research and found that this motor with its internals is only good for 400 or so hp, i need a little more than that. so instead of rebuilding this one with all forged internals, i want to go with the 32 valve motor to make more power.

mustangman36578 01-07-2009 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Yellow Fever (Post 5818407)
It's not hard . It's expensive if you don't do it right . Try to find a fully dressed
donor engine and go from there . I built my Cobra engine from scratch . Using only
brand new parts . And it was really expensive . But then I got exactly what I wanted .

yep deffinately get a donor motor if you are on a budget at all. built mine from scratch as well and spent a lot more than i planned on too.

boduke0220 01-07-2009 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by mustangman36578 (Post 5817211)
an aluminator crate engine is not a terminator. terminators have cast iron blocks. ford racing sells a crate engine called the aluminator which had a couple problems but from what ive heard they worked it all out. the swap is not too bad. as long as you have a GT and not a v6 you can use the same harness, ECU, and many of the same sensors (crank position, cam position, ect.). the parts you will need to get is a cobra throttle cable and cruise control cable, all different coolant tubing, cobra thermostat housing, cobra intake tubing (either cold air raim air or stock) and cobra intake lower and upper and at least 24# injectors. you will have to do some lengthening to your stock harness and swith the polarity going to the coil over plugs. you will need cobra exhaust manifolds or headers too. other than that it bolts in just like a GT. you will need to get a tune after you put it in too because the spark curve is different.

ohh i never heard of that my bad