4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:17 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

T-3650 ~ T-56 swap with complete instructions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 02:59 AM
dirtygirl [thats the cars name]

dirtygirl [thats the cars name]'s Avatar

im not to sure at this point what i want to do i think that ultimetly im going to save my pennys and try to put together i really nice t56 when i get me a stroker motor and a kenne bell for now ill just try not to blow up the trans i got. one question i do want to ask though is what type of clutch are you using and the things you like and dis like i heard the dual force friction clutches work very swell because of there easy pedal pressure and there tought grip and drive abilty is high up there to compared to like a puck style clutch anyways would you share your thoughts .....o and on flywheels in your post you said your running a billet ford what are your thoughts on it???? thanks for your time!!!1
Old 05-14-2009, 03:28 AM

another trans i found is the tko 500 and 600 meaning trq capacity any how have you heard of them and whats the deal with them???
Old 05-14-2009, 06:24 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I run a stock Cobra clutch because I have pretty much stock HP. I saw no need to go heavy duty for this reason and don't want carpul-leg on my DD ride

The flywheel is a FRPP billet steel flywheel and is some quality stuff. Many like an alum for hybrid type, such as stevecooper post above. Unless you are running some pretty high torque numbers, a "light" flywheel will require a bit more feathering during launch. The heavy flywheel "wants" to continue rotation as you leave the line, where the lighter one wants to slow down due to load. Once you are fully engaged, the ligher flywheel will spin up faster and help you accelerate quicker.

I have no experience with the TKO trans, but believe they are for the S197 rides, but not sure. Head over to the TTC website and check it out.

Jazzer
Old 05-15-2009, 11:34 PM

something i have noticed latly is that on extended city driving my trans gets pretty hot to the point where i can feel lots of heat threw the shift boot any ideas!?
Old 05-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
I run a stock Cobra clutch because I have pretty much stock HP. I saw no need to go heavy duty for this reason and don't want carpul-leg on my DD ride

The flywheel is a FRPP billet steel flywheel and is some quality stuff. Many like an alum for hybrid type, such as stevecooper post above. Unless you are running some pretty high torque numbers, a "light" flywheel will require a bit more feathering during launch. The heavy flywheel "wants" to continue rotation as you leave the line, where the lighter one wants to slow down due to load. Once you are fully engaged, the ligher flywheel will spin up faster and help you accelerate quicker.

I have no experience with the TKO trans, but believe they are for the S197 rides, but not sure. Head over to the TTC website and check it out.

Jazzer
Yes sir, my clutch is not for launching... my 11.77 at 128.5mph says it all . It doesn't hurt it to lunch, but it tends to bog down really badly.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:32 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Several pepes have been inquiring about this as of late and cannot find the actual page it is now located. So giving a little bump for those to which I have referred.

Jazzer
Old 03-09-2010, 09:44 AM
cjuni

Default ??

Hello

I was wondering if you could provide me the new parts list/vendor/part #.....etc for the Reverse Lockout?

I just bought would like to perform this before I do the install later on this month.

Thanks in Advance
cjuni
Old 03-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Not quite understanding your question here....

The reverse lock-out switch came with my new T-56. I just modified it so that it would not need as much physical force to get into reverse without power to the release selonoid.

I don't have any part numbers other than the one you can see on the plastic bag next to the replacement springs. That particular set of springs was just a guess on my part as to the tension I was "hoping" to have on the reverse switch. Turns out to be purrfect and was happy NOT to run a power line and switch for reverse.

I hope that answers your question.

Jazzer
Old 03-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Curious...

Can you swap out a T-45 for a T-56 with minimal fabrication?

Car is a 1998 Cobra.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I don't see why not

You will likely have all the exact same issues I had swapping my T-3650. The car body is the same, so the only issues is with the mechanical speedo I believe you have on your model year. The T-56 can be ordered with a mechanical speedo in lue of the electric one I have.

Jazzer

Quick Reply: T-3650 ~ T-56 swap with complete instructions