4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

PI swap info

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 08:07 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

Default PI swap info

OK, so im now 85% sure im buying a pi head swap from my friend back home. I've hear changing the headgasket bolts is recommended. My question is, if my engine only has 37k on it, do i need to change them, i was looking at prices and its a lot for the package, 300 for the gasket set...eeeesh, almost as much as im paying for the heads themselves.

this package im buying includes:
heads (ported)
pi intake
injectors +mass air (24 lbs)
valve covers (01)
gaskets for intake

im going to need a few extra things i know, but i wnt to know what you guys would do in this case??? thanks guys
Old 01-12-2009, 08:32 PM
pcs
4th Gear Member

do you mean the head bolts? if so you have to change them, they are torque to yield bolt (TTY) and are a one time use, go with arp head studs, much better choice. only thing i didnt see was the cams on your list. and yes those freaking gaskets are expensive. one more thing, does your intake manifold have a metal cross over for the coolant or is it plastic? if its plastic they are prone to leak. good luck on your conversion.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:32 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

ahhh, ok, apr bolts are mad expensive, but the felpro ones are 1/6 the cost, input?
Old 01-12-2009, 08:36 PM
pcs
4th Gear Member

the arp ones can be reused if you take your heads off in the future for more work and a stud can withstand more torque than a bolt. its a bit of insurance to make sure your heads stay put.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:37 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pcs
do you mean the head bolts? if so you have to change them, they are torque to yield bolt (TTY) and are a one time use, go with arp head studs, much better choice. only thing i didnt see was the cams on your list. and yes those freaking gaskets are expensive. one more thing, does your intake manifold have a metal cross over for the coolant or is it plastic? if its plastic they are prone to leak. good luck on your conversion.
thanks, i thought so, just needed to hear it again. the arp bolts at 300 dollars for the kit, but the felpro ones are 56 ish... should i get new timing chain gasket, i just bought those ones a few months ago... the valve covers need to be done, they are 01 heads... the intake is metal, i know im going to have to make a new sensor hole for it too.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:39 PM
pcs
4th Gear Member

plus studs help when you align the heads on the block with is import to ensure you head gaskets seal properly
Old 01-12-2009, 08:41 PM
pcs
4th Gear Member

are your pi heads windsor or romeo?
Old 01-12-2009, 08:48 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

damn, lots of money, it doesn't help that i'm pumped about getting these heads, he is giving me a deal so i guess i will do it right, i was also wondering... What about the alt. bracket, is this really vital, i mean, the two main bolts on the alt. hold it in place, can i fabricate something in here, or am i way way way off?
Old 01-12-2009, 08:50 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pcs
are your pi heads windsor or romeo?
from a 01, pretty sure they are windsor, im getting the valve covers though, so i think im good on that. is there a bolt issue on the timing chain covers?
Old 01-12-2009, 09:00 PM
pcs
4th Gear Member

if they are windsor youll need the valve covers because they have more bolts than your romeo ones. as far as the alt. bracket, when i swapped to a newer intake with the metal cross over the top alt bracket didnt work so i just drilled new holes in my original one to make it work.

Quick Reply: PI swap info