4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

KENNE BELL VS VORTECH

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 05:44 PM
Nolimits31
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
you should get a dyno tune regardless. those chips are very basic tunes that can still have A/F ratio issues when you get on it. it would be a shame to lose all of that money just because you decided not to get it tuned.
well my numbers where pretty good i thought but i still have some power to get out of her, thats why in the spring i am getting it dyno tuned, but all summer i had no issues with their chip and others havent as well. if you read their tech support on the 99-04 gt kit, they are able to tune these engines pretty good since there are not alot of differences from car to car. the tune is conservitive but it gets the job done for awhile but you will always want more.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:40 PM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nolimits31
well my numbers where pretty good i thought but i still have some power to get out of her, thats why in the spring i am getting it dyno tuned, but all summer i had no issues with their chip and others havent as well. if you read their tech support on the 99-04 gt kit, they are able to tune these engines pretty good since there are not alot of differences from car to car. the tune is conservitive but it gets the job done for awhile but you will always want more.
If you used all the parts that came with the kit (IE don't install a JLT CAI and a C&L MAF) the KB tune is perfect. They spent a lot of time in R&D. If you want great power and reliability there is absolutely nothing wrong with their tune.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:48 PM
jivepepper
3rd Gear Member

Nothing beats a Vortech S-trim for an entry level SC for full all out power. It is also the easiest and cheapest to upgrade later. Not to mention Vortech's durability, not claiming that they never break, but incidents are rare..

My first setup cost 3200 and made 350 at 6psi non intercooled on a completely stock 2v. MPH has made 620rwhp with a 2v and a S-trim. Go to their site and see how many P1sc's or 1.7's have even broke 550.

The 2.1 might break 550 on a completely built 2v pushed hard. I have yet to see a P1SC break 520 on a 2v without nitrous regardless of how small you pulley them down. Just look in MPH tuning results section. They sell and tune all 3 and are pretty well the authority on 2v power. .

Plus the Vortech is easiest and cheapest to upgrade later. Just 500 to go from a S-trim to a T-trim. That's if you only go for the impeller and volute upgrade which is the only difference. If you have a unit with little to no miles this is a good option. A total rebuild is 1000 for new bearing and seals, etc. That's good for 700+ rwhp.

You can also trade the S or T-trim in on a YSI-trim for 2k and support 1000rwhp, and it fits the same bracket. Just try getting KB or Procharger to upgrade the P1sc to a D1sc, or the 2.1 to a 2.4 for 500? How about either one giving you a SC that can support 1000rwhp for 2K.

I but my own IC set up for my for my Vortech for under 450, and that included the bypass. T-bolt clamps, and nice silicone couplers.

Last edited by jivepepper; 01-13-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:52 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by jivepepper
Nothing beats a Vortech S-trim for an entry level SC for full all out power. It is also the easiest and cheapest to upgrade later. Not to mention Vortech's durability, not claiming that they never break, but incidents are rare..
+1, Paxton or Vortech (same company anyway)
Procharger looks like it was put together by some teenager in his back yard!!
Old 01-13-2009, 07:01 PM
jivepepper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
+1, Paxton or Vortech (same company anyway)
Procharger looks like it was put together by some teenager in his back yard!!

Paxton is good. If I had to start all over I would have went to a novi 2000. For the money it's a lot of SC. You can get them from MPH for not much more than a non intercooled S-trim. I promise if the support mods are in working order the tune will be good to go with their kits.

I would personally get it on the dyno and at least have the A/F ratio measured just for good measure regardless of who tuned the chip.

Last edited by jivepepper; 01-13-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:58 PM
Fobra
Banned

KB is a good kit for a person looking for modest power and good fun with a car that will respond quickly and make girls scream. Centris make for faster cars 95% of the time. Either can be made to be a drag or top end car or what have you. I think you would enjoy the twin screw more.... until you lose to a turbo or a centri. However, FYI youll beat most centri and even turbo cars - ones that dont know what they are doing

Last edited by Fobra; 01-13-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:23 PM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Frostbitten
thats cost before you do the suspension. Suspension is going to cost you $1000 easy to get it done right. I wouldnt put a turbo on the stock motor, but there have been people do it with good results. My setup has about $11k into it with me doing all the work.
Uh why? And good point about the suspension. So take a look at http://ziptie007.phpwebhosting.com/c...roducts_id=262
Old 01-13-2009, 10:27 PM
lawlbear
1st Gear Member

omg get a kb!
Old 01-13-2009, 11:53 PM
jivepepper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lawlbear
omg get a kb!
Cause they cool n tite yo.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:06 AM
lizzyfan