4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

auto or stick??

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Frankie Fingaz

Question auto or stick??

whats up guys, the past few days i've been posting some questions on my auto transmission in my 99 gt. if u havent read them yet then its simple, my transmission is dead! it wont shift out of second, then just goes into neutral around 4500rpm. i got a few responces on what my options were, and they led towards replacing my trans. ???? guess thats probably the smartest thing to do right??? if so my question now is should i go auto again or 5 speed?
i dont know what the pros and cons would be if i were to do the swap and i dont know whats involved. anybody who has a auto mustang (gt or v6) out there probably got the same dum look when someone asked you "whats that a 5speed in there?" and u tell them, no its auto. So rite now im looking into some manual transmission. if anyones got an opion let me know, because im a lil lost.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:43 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Frankie Fingaz
whats up guys, the past few days i've been posting some questions on my auto transmission in my 99 gt. if u havent read them yet then its simple, my transmission is dead! it wont shift out of second, then just goes into neutral around 4500rpm. i got a few responces on what my options were, and they led towards replacing my trans. ???? guess thats probably the smartest thing to do right??? if so my question now is should i go auto again or 5 speed?
i dont know what the pros and cons would be if i were to do the swap and i dont know whats involved. anybody who has a auto mustang (gt or v6) out there probably got the same dum look when someone asked you "whats that a 5speed in there?" and u tell them, no its auto. So rite now im looking into some manual transmission. if anyones got an opion let me know, because im a lil lost.

It all depends on what you want.

You can built a nice auto with a VB, 3500 stall and run a good bit faster than the 5 speed guys with less power.

Autos rule the track. Stick is good for the fun factor and impressing 13 yr old girls and morons that dont know any better.

A lot of people think autos are slow...but the fact is a large % of people dont know ****.

A good example of this is my auto npi with stock auto and blower ran 12.8@112 with probably 340 rwhp vs my friends 03 5 speed with 4.10s,dr's, 8 psi, 360 rwhp. He ran 13.3-13.4 at 107 same night

over a half second faster with easily 20 less rwhp, probably more than that.

I even had street tires and a slower 60 foot.

Autos are generally faster in a straight line
Old 01-13-2009, 07:53 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

how much would you come off that blown tranny for?
Old 01-13-2009, 07:59 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by livefast1
how much would you come off that blown tranny for?
Where you located?

I have a 4r70w (Mustang Auto) with the same problem, blown direct clutch, nuetralizes after second gear.

Im looking to get rid of mine.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:02 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

eastern shore md
Old 01-13-2009, 08:27 PM
02TrueBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by justinschmidt1
It all depends on what you want.

You can built a nice auto with a VB, 3500 stall and run a good bit faster than the 5 speed guys with less power.

Autos rule the track. Stick is good for the fun factor and impressing 13 yr old girls and morons that dont know any better.

A lot of people think autos are slow...but the fact is a large % of people dont know ****.

A good example of this is my auto npi with stock auto and blower ran 12.8@112 with probably 340 rwhp vs my friends 03 5 speed with 4.10s,dr's, 8 psi, 360 rwhp. He ran 13.3-13.4 at 107 same night

over a half second faster with easily 20 less rwhp, probably more than that.

I even had street tires and a slower 60 foot.

Autos are generally faster in a straight line
I agree. It is worth getting a converter and picking up about 3 tenths in the 1/4. Autos are a lot more fun than most people think.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:53 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02TrueBlueGT
I agree. It is worth getting a converter and picking up about 3 tenths in the 1/4. Autos are a lot more fun than most people think.

Depends on the setup but you would be surprised at how far a converter, gears, tires, and a little weight reduction can go.

In my supercharged car, my converter is probably gonna be worth closer to a full second off e.t. when I get some sticky tires.

A 5.0 guy I talked to with a vortech picked up 1.2 seconds and like 8 mph with his 3800 converter

My auto is an animal and is fun as hell to drive...but autos can be pretty lame when your riding around with 200 rwhp

Any centri or turbo car can see huge gains with the propor converter
Old 01-13-2009, 10:25 PM
lawlbear
1st Gear Member

why dont u just replace it?
Old 01-13-2009, 10:27 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Cheapest way would be to find a junkyard 4r70w rather than rebuilding it.

If I were you I would throw a 3200 stall in it while its out.

You will feel like your car just grew a massive pair of *****
Old 01-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Frankie Fingaz

yea all u guys are rite about the auto trans being better. i live in staten island NY, i took my stang out to the new jersy shore one night last summer. there was this kid in a sick blue gt, it sounded and looked like it was worked a lot. long story short, we went light for light for a good mile. every time he shifted you herd him chirping the gears, but i took him every time! i mean i dont know what he had under the hood but it sounded like a lot more than i had. at the time i had in 3.73 gears, bbk shorty headers, bbk off road x pipe, bbk cold air kit and a diablosport tune. so i do belive that a auto is quicker than a 5 speed. no hard feelings to those who have a 5 speed. so maby i'll will go the rebuilt rout and get the converter too. thanks everyone for getting back to me on this. i want to turn my stang into race car but my budget is holding me back rite now.

Quick Reply: auto or stick??