4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

My driver door power window went ca-clunk last night

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 07:56 AM
rollintechno
1st Gear Member

Default My driver door power window went ca-clunk last night

This is great. Last night I was rolling up my drvr door window and midway up I heard a ca-clunk and then a high reving whirrrrrr sound. I suspect the motor is no longer is connected to the mechanics that actually raise the window up.

I feel confident that I can remove the door panel and replace the part(s). However, I am not expecting a quick fix considering I will have to go in and see exactly what's broken, then order the part (I don't like to assume the local ford parts shop will have it in stock, but maybe so).

Has anyone had any experience with this? Is there anything I should know before I dive in to this fix?

2001 GT
Old 01-16-2009, 09:28 AM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rollintechno
This is great. Last night I was rolling up my drvr door window and midway up I heard a ca-clunk and then a high reving whirrrrrr sound. I suspect the motor is no longer is connected to the mechanics that actually raise the window up.

I feel confident that I can remove the door panel and replace the part(s). However, I am not expecting a quick fix considering I will have to go in and see exactly what's broken, then order the part (I don't like to assume the local ford parts shop will have it in stock, but maybe so).

Has anyone had any experience with this? Is there anything I should know before I dive in to this fix?

2001 GT

You should be able to find it at any local dealer. However I am removing mine this weekend and I doubt its ever going back in. its got about 10k on it, as my stocker failed at 30k.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:35 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Make sure you have drill bits and a rivet gun handy... plus rivets.. I believe they are 1/4"
Old 01-16-2009, 09:52 AM
ColinGT
4th Gear Member

Happend to my old mustang, piece of **** window.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:30 AM
rollintechno
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stevecooper
You should be able to find it at any local dealer. However I am removing mine this weekend and I doubt its ever going back in. its got about 10k on it, as my stocker failed at 30k.
The door panel going back in?

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
Make sure you have drill bits and a rivet gun handy... plus rivets.. I believe they are 1/4"
In regards to the mechnical repair or r&r of the interior door panel?
Old 01-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

The door panel going back in?

In regards to the mechnical repair or r&r of the interior door panel?

you have to drill out some rivets to remove the mechanism.

I am gutting my car and I won't need the window, motor, door panel, and so on.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:53 AM
rollintechno
1st Gear Member

Great. Not what I wanted to hear!

Time to see if my warranty is still in effect.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:07 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Great. Not what I wanted to hear!

Time to see if my warranty is still in effect.

Warranty???

You must have an awesome ESP contract then man. The rivets arent hard, just imagine them as bolts, and you wuldnt be second guessing yourself. You can drill them out with standard bits then just use tiny nuts/bolts/washers from the hardware store to reconnect everything
Old 01-20-2009, 07:05 AM
rollintechno
1st Gear Member

lol yeah. I have to dig it out of my file cabinet but I bought a great (& long) warranty when I bought the car (used). I think my deductible is around $200.

I might be able to wing it on my own but if I can't I hate to drive around with my door all jacked up. And you know how people hate to finish sh*t other people started...I know I do.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:31 AM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

lol yeah. I have to dig it out of my file cabinet but I bought a great (& long) warranty when I bought the car (used). I think my deductible is around $200.

I might be able to wing it on my own but if I can't I hate to drive around with my door all jacked up. And you know how people hate to finish sh*t other people started...I know I do.

Dude $200... you can buy a used one for $50 and install it in 1 hour taking your sweet *** time.

Quick Reply: My driver door power window went ca-clunk last night