4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

information about stroking my gt

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 02:58 PM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

Default information about stroking my gt

i am thinking about stroking my car this summer because its time to replace the bottom end. I don't really know that much about stroking and how it really works. obviously the piston has a longer stroke so could i just buy shorter rods? or do i have to buy a new crank to compliment the shorter rods? i'm just trying to gather information ahead of time so i can plan accordingly funds wise. I have looked up some stroker kits and they all seem pretty expensive. Is there a way to stroke a car on a budget for example buying a cobra crank with cobra pistons or do they have the same stroke as my gt? sry if some of these questions sound self explanitory i haven't really explored deep into the subject yet. any information would be helpful thanks
Old 01-17-2009, 03:43 PM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

The modular stroker kits I've seen get the added stroke from the crank, and use stock length rods and pistons. I guess you could just buy a stoker crank and use your rods, and pistons, but adding stoke on an already jacked up bore to stroke ratio isnt gonna help. You'd be better off going with an oversized piston than stroking your car. Cobras have the same stroke crank as a gt crank.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:42 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

stroke is determined by the distance of the rod journal from the distance of the main journal centerline, and stroker kits come with with shorter rods.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:20 PM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

so just buying shorter rods won't do anything because its still going to have the same stroke. also i would like to get alittle higher compression. do flat top pistons perform well in strokers?? i wana be in the compression area if i were to put P.I. heads on my car. I could just do that, but i ported my npi's and liked the results. The only way to see what my true compression is now is to take the heads off and fill the combustion chamber with water right???
Old 01-18-2009, 07:47 AM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

Your compression shouldnt have changed. You can put flattops in and gain compression but I don't know how much you'd gain, I don't know the math to find out.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:20 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Compression ratio is the ratio of the cylinder's total volume at BDC to the total volume as TDC.

The total volume at TDC consists of the volume of the piston's "dishes" (if any); the volume of the cylindrical spaces caused by the piston's not rising all the way to the block's deck, and the thin slice created by the head gasket; and the volume of the head's combustion chamber.

Total volume at BDC = the TDC volume + ((bore² * pi) / 4 * stroke).

Increasing stroke, using proportionally shorter rods (required unless you want the pistons smashing into the spark plugs and cylinder head) and stock pistons will increase compression ratio, it has to as long as the cylinder volume at TDC doesn't change.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:02 AM
bhhacker
1st Gear Member

Do I have a dirty mind or did the title sound funny to anyone else?
Old 01-18-2009, 10:13 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I was going to comment about insanity and hairy palms, and decided not--but now that you mention it...
Old 01-18-2009, 11:54 AM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

hahaha ya the title does sound alittle suspect. jesus get ur heads out of the gutter lol.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:39 PM
10inch Terror
2nd Gear Member

Man..some people should not be giving engine building advice...haha.

You will need a stroker crank, stroker rods (shorter) and stroker pistons (shorter compression height)..all relative to deck height. Most combo's use a 3.750" stroke, a 5.850" rod and approximately a 1.20" compression height piston. You can't use a stock rod because 1), it's too long and 2) the crank journal is a different size on the stroker crank vs the stock crank rod journal. There are a few exceptions to these rules but that would be a pretty f'ed up combo if so. Yes, adding stroke or bore will increase compression ratio given a constant combustion chamber volume ...as mentioned earlier.

Quick Reply: information about stroking my gt