4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

American Muscle CAI ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 02:31 PM
PremiumFuelOnly

Default American Muscle CAI ?'s

Im looking at a CAI for my 02 GT. Ive heard real good things about the JLT, but its kinda pricey.

Does anyone have the 84$ CAI from American Muscle? Is their any major difference between it and the JLT? I know you get what you pay for but 200$ for an intake is kinda steep, esp since this one is only 84$.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:37 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

i tkink that $84 one is aluminum so it is prone to heat soke or something like that. im going with a bbk although i kinda want that cheap one
Old 01-20-2009, 03:40 PM
MustangMan00
5th Gear Member

the bbk is basically the same thing, both will get hot, being metal in the engine bay.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:55 PM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangMan00
the bbk is basically the same thing, both will get hot, being metal in the engine bay.
but its so shiny it must add HP
Old 01-20-2009, 04:45 PM
Fobra
Banned

Originally Posted by boduke0220
i tkink that $84 one is aluminum so it is prone to heat soke or something like that. im going with a bbk although i kinda want that cheap one
Ohh my dear lord.... hopeless
Old 01-20-2009, 05:31 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

newton laws of cooling is based on three main things, time, temp differences and the constant found by the materiel.

that said, the temperature difference between the engine bay air and the fender well air would have to be insane to make a difference. Think of the amount of time a section of air spends in the intake tube, its very low, especial when you open her up. the main thing in buy a CAI is to make sure its outside the engine bay with a cover to make sure that air going in isn't engine bay temperatures. another is to try to find one with minimal bends. corners in tubing creates turbulent flow, laminar flow is better then turbulent flow.

=)
Old 01-20-2009, 08:16 PM
wo0de

i have the American Muscle CAI, i think its better than the K&N filter with stock intake that i used to have...
Old 01-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wo0de
i have the American Muscle CAI, i think its better than the K&N filter with stock intake that i used to have...

I thought about going with the shiny CAI's (bbk etc., etc.,). Yeah they all look better than the K&N but think about it. It's Cold Air Induction. Metal, Steel reacts to heat alot different than Plastic. Bought my K&N off ebay for around a $150.00. Alot of people say that they don't make a difference but when my K&N filter is clean I notice a little difference in sound and the car has a little more pep. Every little bit counts right????
Old 01-20-2009, 08:30 PM
Pohatu18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
I thought about going with the shiny CAI's (bbk etc., etc.,). Yeah they all look better than the K&N but think about it. It's Cold Air Induction. Metal, Steel reacts to heat alot different than Plastic. Bought my K&N off ebay for around a $150.00. Alot of people say that they don't make a difference but when my K&N filter is clean I notice a little difference in sound and the car has a little more pep. Every little bit counts right????
so the metal on the CAI after running the car for say an hour is going to be hotter than if it was plastic? the plastic would heat up slower but in the end it still heats up.(i might just be ramling to much)
Either way it cleans up the engine bay and gets rid of the huge air box.

Last edited by Pohatu18; 01-20-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pohatu18
sooooo the metal on the CAI after running the car for say an hour is going to be hotter than if it was plastic? the plastic would heat up slower but in the end it still heats up.(i might just be ramling to much)
Either way it cleans up the engine bay and gets rid of the huge air box.
Yessssssss it will be. That's a no brainer man. It probally want be that much of a differnce but there will be a differnce. CAI and steel don't mix but it looks good tho....

Quick Reply: American Muscle CAI ?'s