4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

When Flicking On Air Conditioning, my '97 GT Overheats...Fast

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 01:53 AM
opfredet

Default When Flicking On Air Conditioning, my '97 GT Overheats...Fast

I already installed a new cooling fan motor along with replacing the old cooling fan module, too. This was less than 2 months ago...and the car ran fine when I put the AC on during this time period. Although there was one time when the cooling fan just wouldn't cut off...even after the car had sat still and cooled after an hour. (I disconnected the battery at this point.)

Everything seemed okay until yesterday when it got real hot in Michigan and I switched on the AC. For a few minutes, it seemed like I was running out of Freon coolant (or the substitute) and the air would blow cold and then turn warm...then I looked at my TEMP gauge and the needle was pushing the end of "L" in N O R M A L.

I stopped quick at a friends house...disconected the cable to the battery and then let the car sit for an hour.

Then I reconnected the battery and started her up without the AC on, of course, and she was back to running fine. Then today - after driving fifty miles commuting, I thought I'd retest it about a 1/4 mile from my home...and sure enough within a minute of turning the AC on again...the temp. needle shot up real fast.

So I disconnected the battery again and just let her sit again...and now she's running fine...until I turn the AC on...Which I don't intend to do until I get the AC fixed. I do want to it fixed asap since we're at the beginning of Summer up here.

Anybody have this problem and or have any suggestions as to a remedy?

Thanks / Rich
Old 06-07-2005, 10:20 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: When Flicking On Air Conditioning, my '97 GT Overheats...Fast

Did you install the electric fans and modules yourself? If so then you may wanna check the grounds to and make sure the fans are coming on still. If you high/low circuited the module then you may have burned it up. Look at all your fuses also. Thats the first things I would do before investing in any more expensive parts.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:31 AM
mrbmp
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: When Flicking On Air Conditioning, my '97 GT Overheats...Fast

Is your fan still running after you turn the car off?
If not why are you still disconnecting the batt?

Regarding the A/C,
The fan should run any time the compressor is running (A/C or def.) regardless of temp.
Check to make sure it is.

Watch the compressor while the car is running at a fast idle 1500-2000 and the a/c on high, the compressor clutch should not cycle.
If it does it is low on freon R132a . Get a hose and a can of R132a at walmart or autozone etc.
Unless its very low it should not go from warm to cold unless you have the car floored for more than a few seconds (compressor turns off at WOT)

Regardint the overheating issue,
The car should not overheat as long as you are moving at least 35 mph even without a fan.

You seem to have a cooling system problem, you can try a cooling system flush, they sometimes help.
Being in michigan you probably have a high concentration of antifreeze, try using a 15-20% mix of antifreeze during warm weather.
Water conducts heat better than antifreeze,you need some a/f for lubrication. But this is a temporary fix, you probably need a new radiator.