4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

replacing coolant question..

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 01:03 AM
arbs
1st Gear Member

Default replacing coolant question..

i was going to replace my coolant until i found out that my fill plug is seized or frozen on the damn crossover pipe. i guess only cobras have this problem because the radiator is lower than the engines highest point, so you have to fill it up at the filler hole and not in the resovoir. well actually idk how the GTs set up is. so yeah, i wanted to know if i can jsut raise the front of the car and just fill from the resovior because idk know how to take the filler plug off. and i can imagine doing more damage than id want to if i even tried to take it off. so do you think i can do that? has anyone tried? i wouldnt want to end up with a whole bunch of bubbles inside the passages because a crack is what im afraid of!
Old 01-22-2009, 07:55 AM
MJH78
3rd Gear Member

I've never put coolant/water in anything but the overflow reservoir when refilling on any car. I guess I don't get why you think you can't put coolant in your overflow reservoir...Or I guess I don't understand why you think you'd need to raise the car while filling
Old 01-22-2009, 08:30 AM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

Are you talking about the radiator cap being seized onto the radiator? Are you sure? Did you press it down real hard while turning to try and get it off? They can be a PITA.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:35 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by MJH78
I've never put coolant/water in anything but the overflow reservoir when refilling on any car. I guess I don't get why you think you can't put coolant in your overflow reservoir...Or I guess I don't understand why you think you'd need to raise the car while filling
And you must not know much about burping a coolant system or much about how tempermental 4V motors are to get the air out. I had the same problem with my old Cobra. I, however, bought a vacuum filler that pulls vacuum on the system, then uses its own vacuum to jam coolant in without air.

I have this one

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

Anyway, lifting the front of the vehicle might be a solution, but I doubt it with our cars. Find someone who can weld, and weld a nut on top of the fill plug on the cross-over, then work it out with some heat and a big ratchet.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:37 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by vanquish
Are you talking about the radiator cap being seized onto the radiator? Are you sure? Did you press it down real hard while turning to try and get it off? They can be a PITA.
Radiator cap on a 96 + Mustang??? lol think about that 1 for a second.

Hes talkin about the coolant cross-over on Cobra motors. There is a small fill plug that seizes in and makes filling and bleeding the system a nightmare.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:09 AM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

yeah you're right I didn't think about that before typing that. It's not like most cars with a main radiator cap and an overflow tank.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:09 AM
MJH78
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
And you must not know much about burping a coolant system or much about how tempermental 4V motors are to get the air out. I had the same problem with my old Cobra. I, however, bought a vacuum filler that pulls vacuum on the system, then uses its own vacuum to jam coolant in without air.

I have this one

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

Anyway, lifting the front of the vehicle might be a solution, but I doubt it with our cars. Find someone who can weld, and weld a nut on top of the fill plug on the cross-over, then work it out with some heat and a big ratchet.
I don't know anything related to 4V's, no. I was just trying to understand more of what he meant. Ive always had luck on mine just burping it with the reservoir cap off.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:16 PM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

You should still be able to fill it up with the resivour and warm the car up with the cap off and let it bubble out. That's how I do mine, although I fill it up at the thermostat first, but you cobra guys cant do that either so idk.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:16 PM
arbs
1st Gear Member

wow $230.00 for that piece? thats a whole lot of money to be investing on, i dont even replace my coolant often. thanks though! anyway yeah, some of you probably dont know how the 98 cobra motors look. the whole system is pressurized so its not like the traditional radiator, overflow tank set up. and also the highest point of the engine sits higher than the radiator so if you drain it everything will come out buh how do you get liquid to defy gravity and go up to the highest point of the engine? well back to the subject, so is there any other methods in doing this besides the welding? like WHITEFOX said, its a nightmare. i wouldnt want to risk any damage..
Old 01-22-2009, 07:19 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

[QUOTE=arbs;5868241]wow $230.00 for that piece? thats a whole lot of money to be investing on, i dont even replace my coolant often.QUOTE]

That's Snap-on for you.

Quick Reply: replacing coolant question..