4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

check engine light?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 11:37 PM
pinoy131
1st Gear Member

Default check engine light?

i got a check engine light recently, so i took it my ford dealer to find out what it is and they say that they are my sensors on my exhaust and that it is bc of my aftermarket mid pipe. but heres the deal. i installed my bassani catted x pipe awhile ago, in the summer. all summer and throughout fall and part of winter, my check engine light never came on. how come all of a sudden im getting that check engine light. its just a solid check engine light, not flashing. and all i have is a k&n and flowmaster 40's mufflers WHICH i will change for noice catback set up. any thoughts why this is happening? thanks
Old 02-01-2009, 11:49 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by pinoy131
i got a check engine light recently, so i took it my ford dealer to find out what it is and they say that they are my sensors on my exhaust and that it is bc of my aftermarket mid pipe. but heres the deal. i installed my bassani catted x pipe awhile ago, in the summer. all summer and throughout fall and part of winter, my check engine light never came on. how come all of a sudden im getting that check engine light. its just a solid check engine light, not flashing. and all i have is a k&n and flowmaster 40's mufflers WHICH i will change for noice catback set up. any thoughts why this is happening? thanks
Give us the codes and we can go from there
Old 02-01-2009, 11:56 PM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

$10 says you need MIL eliminators.

P.S. if you disconnect the Negative(-) on your battery for 5 minutes it will reset the computer and may rid yourself of that code.(If it's not a lingering problem, otherwise the code will come back)
Old 02-02-2009, 12:15 AM
pinoy131
1st Gear Member

how to check for the codes? do i need any specials gadgets to do that?

ill try the disconnecting battery trick, but i thought having catts i wont need mil eliminators?
Old 02-02-2009, 12:55 AM
Chubstang
5th Gear Member

Just bring it to Autozone or any place like that and they will check the codes for free.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:08 AM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

Originally Posted by pinoy131
how to check for the codes? do i need any specials gadgets to do that?

ill try the disconnecting battery trick, but i thought having catts i wont need mil eliminators?
If their high flow cats, it's not uncommon.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:13 AM
GeritGoul
3rd Gear Member

same thing happened when i had my 02 Lancer..took the first cat out(which was a manifold/cat combo) put headers and the CEL didnt come on for a few months..im pretty sure thats all it is
Old 02-02-2009, 01:15 AM
firehorse02
2nd Gear Member

Happens to me all the time. The sensors don't read write b/c of the pipes. I always reset and wait for it to go off again. However, get the light checked everytime it goes off. Don't just automatically think that it's the same thing again.

Unfortunately AutoZone doesn't check lights anymore. I went there a week or two ago and they told me that they had stopped doing that. Good Luck
Old 02-02-2009, 01:21 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

+1 on autozone, and they read for free lol dont waste ur money on ford dealerships they rip u the hell off.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:24 AM
pinoy131
1st Gear Member

aight thanks ill check out autozone.

but its not a real problem? like wont hurt my car? wat can do so that it will read correctly, get it tuned?

Quick Reply: check engine light?