4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Kenne Bell Tuner - Use SCT/Diablosport?

Old 02-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Blk N Wht GT
2nd Gear Member

Question Kenne Bell Tuner - Use SCT/Diablosport?

Hey guys,
I'm going to be getting the Kenne Bell 2.1L 9 PSI I/C kit fairly soon. I know that the supercharger kit comes with a tuner, however, if I want to have my car dyno tuned, can I use an SCT X3 or Diablosport tuner just like tuning an N/A car?
Old 02-03-2009, 10:55 AM
Nolimits31
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blk N Wht GT
Hey guys,
I'm going to be getting the Kenne Bell 2.1L 9 PSI I/C kit fairly soon. I know that the supercharger kit comes with a tuner, however, if I want to have my car dyno tuned, can I use an SCT X3 or Diablosport tuner just like tuning an N/A car?
the kit does not come with a tuner, it is a sct chip you attach to the ecu. a dyno tuner can tune the chip but it will only get you one base tune, but with a handheld you can hold multiple tunes. and there is no rush to get it dyno tunned cause the one kenne bell provides is pretty decent one to get you started.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:01 AM
Blk N Wht GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nolimits31
the kit does not come with a tuner, it is a sct chip you attach to the ecu. a dyno tuner can tune the chip but it will only get you one base tune, but with a handheld you can hold multiple tunes. and there is no rush to get it dyno tunned cause the one kenne bell provides is pretty decent one to get you started.
Thanks for the reply, that answers my question.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Nolimits31
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the reply, that answers my question.
yea you will be more than pleased with there tune for awhile, i got used to the 9psi power and got the 10psi pulley and felt a decent difference, but now i have everything set for my dyno tune this spring. got my handheld sct, 42lb injectors, and 90mm maf and hoping for 420rwhp.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Blk N Wht GT
2nd Gear Member

I already have the SCT X3 tuner but maybe it would be a good idea to hold off on the dyno tune for a little bit, so that I'll feel the power difference and it will feel like another mod haha. I plan on getting the 90MM meter, big tube kit, switch chip upgrade, cold air kit, 75MM throttle body option with my s/c. Are your 36lb injectors maxed out or close to being maxed out right now?
Old 02-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Nolimits31
3rd Gear Member

I already have the SCT X3 tuner but maybe it would be a good idea to hold off on the dyno tune for a little bit, so that I'll feel the power difference and it will feel like another mod haha. I plan on getting the 90MM meter, big tube kit, switch chip upgrade, cold air kit, 75MM throttle body option with my s/c. Are your 36lb injectors maxed out or close to being maxed out right now?
o ok yea that big tube kit is all you need man you will be right at 400rwhp with there tune. the reason my numbers are low is because i did not get the big tube kit so therefore they tuned to if i had stock intake, so the 80mm maf is maxed out at around 350rwhp or so. the 36lb injectors with the boost a pump are good for around 450rwhp. i got the bigger injectors just to be safe then sorry lol. but i would wait if i where you cause you will not get much out of her at 9psi unless you lean the crap out of her which is not good. if you want to get a tune i suggest getting the 10psi pulley then tunning it.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Blk N Wht GT
2nd Gear Member

o ok yea that big tube kit is all you need man you will be right at 400rwhp with there tune. the reason my numbers are low is because i did not get the big tube kit so therefore they tuned to if i had stock intake, so the 80mm maf is maxed out at around 350rwhp or so. the 36lb injectors with the boost a pump are good for around 450rwhp. i got the bigger injectors just to be safe then sorry lol. but i would wait if i where you cause you will not get much out of her at 9psi unless you lean the crap out of her which is not good. if you want to get a tune i suggest getting the 10psi pulley then tunning it.
I've been doing a lot of research on the Kenne Bell unit and I did read about the tune either being with the Big Tube Kit or tuning it for the stock intake (I basically decided that even though I have intake, throttle body, and intake plenum, it's probably a good idea to go with what Kenne Bell suggests cuz they know what they're doing). +1 on being safe rather than sorry.. a couple hundred bucks on added insurance is definitely worth it. I plan on just leaving it at 9psi for a while and getting the dyno tune eventually. Once I save up enough funds to rebuild the motor with ported and polished heads, cams, forged crank, pistons, and rods, I'm gonna get the 14psi pulley then I'll see what she can do haha
Old 02-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Nolimits31
3rd Gear Member

I've been doing a lot of research on the Kenne Bell unit and I did read about the tune either being with the Big Tube Kit or tuning it for the stock intake (I basically decided that even though I have intake, throttle body, and intake plenum, it's probably a good idea to go with what Kenne Bell suggests cuz they know what they're doing). +1 on being safe rather than sorry.. a couple hundred bucks on added insurance is definitely worth it. I plan on just leaving it at 9psi for a while and getting the dyno tune eventually. Once I save up enough funds to rebuild the motor with ported and polished heads, cams, forged crank, pistons, and rods, I'm gonna get the 14psi pulley then I'll see what she can do haha
yea same here on the research, it was a debate between the procharger or kenne bell, and after watching vids and tech info on each one i decided the kb was the kit i wanted.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Blk N Wht GT
2nd Gear Member

yea same here on the research, it was a debate between the procharger or kenne bell, and after watching vids and tech info on each one i decided the kb was the kit i wanted.
Procharger or Paxton would be the brands I'd go with for a Centrifugal supercharger. But I had a Kenne Bell on my last car (Mazda Tribute 3.0L V6 with 1.5L Kenne Bell) and I have no question in my mind that I want to go with a Kenne Bell. I just want to be prepared and safe when I get it.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:15 PM
Nolimits31
3rd Gear Member

Procharger or Paxton would be the brands I'd go with for a Centrifugal supercharger. But I had a Kenne Bell on my last car (Mazda Tribute 3.0L V6 with 1.5L Kenne Bell) and I have no question in my mind that I want to go with a Kenne Bell. I just want to be prepared and safe when I get it.
how many miles do you have now on your car?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kenne Bell Tuner - Use SCT/Diablosport?