4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Considering a Termi

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 12:36 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Default Considering a Termi

Alright, I'm not new to Stangs by any chance, but i think i might pick up a Mod Cobra(04 mtstichrome specifically if i can find one). I want to mod it moderately. I know they respond excellent to mods say i want to shoot for 700hp what do i need? ive never had a 4.6 car, ive been heavy into old school stuff mainly 5.0/351C and some 2.3T. Ive had 28 stangs so far With the newest being a 95 GTS which i bought recently.

I know the IRS is a weak link where is this the power limit?

ive looked at hellions twin turbo kit anyone here running it?
Old 02-07-2009, 01:55 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmodel65
Alright, I'm not new to Stangs by any chance, but i think i might pick up a Mod Cobra(04 mtstichrome specifically if i can find one). I want to mod it moderately. I know they respond excellent to mods say i want to shoot for 700hp what do i need? ive never had a 4.6 car, ive been heavy into old school stuff mainly 5.0/351C and some 2.3T. Ive had 28 stangs so far With the newest being a 95 GTS which i bought recently.

I know the IRS is a weak link where is this the power limit?

ive looked at hellions twin turbo kit anyone here running it?
You will deff need either a twin turbo kit, whipple or a KB. If you get one make sure you do all your supporting mods first:

IRS Brace, Head cooling mod & Irs bushings. Sign up over on svtperformance.com You will learn a ton over there. It will take quiet a bit to get to 700rwhp thoe. A dyno tune is everything with these cars. Any time you change pullies make sure you get a tune.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:05 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
You will deff need either a twin turbo kit, whipple or a KB. If you get one make sure you do all your supporting mods first:

IRS Brace, Head cooling mod & Irs bushings. Sign up over on svtperformance.com You will learn a ton over there. It will take quiet a bit to get to 700rwhp thoe. A dyno tune is everything with these cars. Any time you change pullies make sure you get a tune.
Thats a good place to start,but if ur shootin (pun intended) for 700whp don't even waste ur money on a pulley, or port, i say start looking at KB Swaps, you'll hear good and bad things. The good i have heard is they are incredibly efficent and stay pretty cool. The bad is they do sometimes break and KBs customers service BLOWS! i know neither from personal experience cause obvsly ive never had a KB. As far as turbos go, you might wanna shoot BlownSVT a PM, he has a single turbo termi but said he almost twin turboed it, maybe he can give you some insight, or maybe you should post this in the SVT section as well and im sure he'll chime in. Either way a must- K+N drop in filter or JLT CAI, LT headers(Mac FTW) and +1 to everything the guy above me said head cooling mod is a must. as welll as the IRS reinforcement. I like seeing whipples or Kenne Bells on these cars but if you're looking for a track car you might wanna go turbo. Well goodluck.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:02 AM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

its gonna take a lot to reach 700. If your goal was 650 it would be a lot easier to obtain
Old 02-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Fobra
Banned

my advice is to pick a performance goal, not a dyno number. Imo a cobra is good way to go if you can't pay for things in cash and want a decent performer out the box. If you intend on paying cash for everything then you can get alot more performance for your dollar by building a car up. Just depends on your skill base, knowledge basis, intended goals, time constraints and cash available
Old 02-07-2009, 12:51 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Originally Posted by Fobra
my advice is to pick a performance goal, not a dyno number. Imo a cobra is good way to go if you can't pay for things in cash and want a decent performer out the box. If you intend on paying cash for everything then you can get alot more performance for your dollar by building a car up. Just depends on your skill base, knowledge basis, intended goals, time constraints and cash available

700 was out of the blue basically about double stock output. as for mechanical abilities i do anything but machine work. paint and body too, i might even looked for a wrecked car to cut costs :P
Old 02-07-2009, 02:57 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

You COULD always pick ur favorite bodystyle then just build a motor for it, the thing about termis is you can run 700 safely without touching the bottom end as long as you have a nice tune. If you don't mind building an entire car pick your favorite body style and go from there. You can pick up 4.6 4v blocks like the Teksid or W.A.P for like $300
Old 02-07-2009, 03:39 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

i already have my favorite bodystyle :P 65 fastback ftw, then i have my DD 91gt vert and my 95GTS i need a terminator a lightning and a SVO then ill be finished buying cars for a while. if i dont get a terminator id like to get a Boss 351 and mod it they were the fastest factory stang till the year 2000 when the cobra r came out

Old 02-07-2009, 03:57 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

well then buy a termi, the time is now, with the economy so bad.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:02 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

yes, i just gotta come into the cash:P

Quick Reply: Considering a Termi