4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Alignmnet Issuses/ Tire Balancing - Need Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 09:45 AM
tmcc02gt
2nd Gear Member

Default Alignmnet Issuses/ Tire Balancing - Need Help!!

Ok, I have a 2002 GT with the eibach pro kit. Took it to get aligned the other day only for them to say that the "factory plates need to be drilled out to reach the correct camber" at $100 a side, i said f-off. But they did, however fix the horrible toe angle that was causing my front tires to cuff.
So, anyway my 1st question regarding the alignment is about the cc plates. do i need them? b/c i was under the impression that since the eibach prokit was only 1.5" drop it wasnt necessary. Why cant it be aligned w/ the factory plates?

Next question regarding tires.
My tires have felt out of balance for a while and when i went in for the alingment i had them balance the tires(245-45-17's on factory bullets). So, i dont know if they just didnt balance them right or what because i still have vibrations, mainly at low speeds, so i dont know. I would post a vid but you prob wouldnt even be able to hear it. But yeah at low speeds (under 25mph) it feels/sounds like the interior of the car is fallin apart, even more so than normal (mustangs have always had bad interior vibes).

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:54 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

The factory CC plates have very little adjustment in them, so they are correct when sayin you have to drill them out. So you are goin to need plates if you dont want them to drill it out (which in the end will cost you more than just having them drill the stockers out)

As for the tire balancing, if the balance was just done, and you still feel/hear something, then its probably time for new tires. Check the condition of the tread and see if you can feel and cups in them. My Cobra had really crappy front tires on it and I thought both wheel bearings were shot, bu it turned out to be tires. Try rotating front to back and see if the noise goes down
Old 02-09-2009, 10:11 AM
tmcc02gt
2nd Gear Member

Thanks white. Yeah a while ago i thought it may have been wheel brearings but its gotta be the tires. Ill rotate them today and see if it helps, but i believe the tires are only about a year old with about 15000 miles on em, but i didnt have an alignment unlit a few days ago and i had the prokit on there about six months so you may be right my tires are probably effed. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:24 AM
nateCR
1st Gear Member

well i would say its due to the tire cupping. once that happens it can;t be fix unless you wear them down. they are most likly going to affect you at low speeds, normally balence will hit you at 45 pls with a steering wheel shake. under 25 i would say put them on the back and burn em off.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:27 PM
MAD SVT
4th Gear Member

ahh.. just get the CC's!
Old 02-10-2009, 01:46 AM
devore86
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MAD SVT
ahh.. just get the CC's!
Couldnt agree more, you can get new plates for about the same price there asking to drill ur old ones out for...
Old 02-10-2009, 08:08 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by devore86
Couldnt agree more, you can get new plates for about the same price there asking to drill ur old ones out for...
And thats perfectly fine, but then he has to pay to have it re-aligned, which is usually around 100$

If he would have had them drill the stockers and do it right while it was on the rack, then he coulda saved about that much... just food for thought
Old 02-10-2009, 08:19 AM
tmcc02gt
2nd Gear Member

Well i agree with you White, but my only concern is that i may change the springs sometime down the road and if i get the cc plates it wouldnt be as big a deal i guess, more than likely, i wont but you never know.

The camber is still off, which pisses me off the most because the car isnt even that low, but the toe angle is fixed, so i will probably get the plates and then get it all aligned again when i get new tires.

Thanks to everyone for the input!
Old 02-10-2009, 08:43 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

FWIW, I lowered my car and drove around for over a year without plates, all I did was set the toe and go.

I never saw any adverse affects on my tires (which were new at the time) I just rotated them every oil change (2500mi) The wear on the outer edge of the front tires was minimal...but you could see the camber was out slightly

Look at the front tire, just in a hair..

Old 02-10-2009, 09:06 AM
tmcc02gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
FWIW, I lowered my car and drove around for over a year without plates, all I did was set the toe and go.

I never saw any adverse affects on my tires (which were new at the time) I just rotated them every oil change (2500mi) The wear on the outer edge of the front tires was minimal...but you could see the camber was out slightly

Look at the front tire, just in a hair..

Yeah, thats about how mine looks, but i didnt have the toe adjusted until a few days ago and thats why my front tires were cupped.

Do you think ill be alright if the camber is just slightly negative until i either get the cc plates or have the stock one drilled?

Quick Reply: Alignmnet Issuses/ Tire Balancing - Need Help!!