4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Control arms rule!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 02:14 PM
devinsteen
4th Gear Member

Default Control arms rule!!

So my buddy and I installed my GMS upper and lower control arms yesterday. I must say they kick azz! Much improved handling and traction. The car just wants to go straight instead of sliding everywhere.[:-] THe whole rear end feels alot more stable. I haven't got to go launch real hard on them yet.....[&o].....but last night I was messing around and lauched close to 3K and pretty much dumped the clutch and the bish hooked!
I was suppose to get my sub-frame connectors yesterday but the Fed Ex dude never came[]LOL. But those will be on next week some time....I'll let you know how they feel.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:28 PM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Control arms rule!!

How'd the install go? Did you have to remove the old rubber bushings from the axle housing?
Old 06-10-2005, 02:32 PM
devinsteen
4th Gear Member

It went really well. We couldn't use the lift cause his dad had a bunch a shiz under it[:@] So on the ground was fun It took some time to get all the bolts out cause they were in some tight/akward spots. I had to re-use the bushings for the upper control arms were it attached to the diff. I wish I could of replaced those with some ply bushings[&o]....but they looked like a bish to get out anyway LOL
Old 06-10-2005, 02:48 PM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

With the Steedas I got, there is no more rubber anything. It's all poly. I haven't really road tested them, besides a quick 5 minute run to make sure nothing fell off [:-]. My car goes on a 920 mile road trip on Monday, so I guess I will find out how good of a job I did .
Old 06-10-2005, 02:57 PM
02silver2v

I just installed my MM LCA's on Saturday. I got the adjustable ones and I can say there is a huge improvement. I agree that it hooks much better. There is like no wheel hop at all when you hit it from a dig. I can say this is a great mod to have done. The car does feel much more stable and handles much better as well. I ordered all the poly bushings as well.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:08 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

you're gonna love the subframes. makes your car feel more solid when turning and just rides nicer. i wanna get control arms for my car. then maybe i can launch nice.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:23 PM
snlpa
2nd Gear Member

Yea, I think I need control arms....With these lowering springs I can't hook squat! I had the 4:10's put in last night and haven't tried from a dig yet. It may be harder to hook.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:28 PM
devinsteen
4th Gear Member

Nanaki, I'm excited to get those subs on!! My friend and I will be welding them on. YOu have any tips on the install. I know that you are suppose to have the a-arms and rear axle on jack stands.
Snlpa, definately get some CA's with those 410's you got.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:10 PM
LuvBottles97GT
2nd Gear Member

Those UCA bushings are a pain in the *** to get out. The easiest way to get them out is to drill holes in them and keep doing that until you can "wack" them out. The only problem I had with my lowers was getting that damn bolt out from the rear axle!
Old 06-10-2005, 07:17 PM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

I called and spoke with a tech at Steeda and he said they have it down to a science. He claims that they can get those bushings out IN ONE PIECE and in about 5 minutes. I wanted to reach through the phone and strangle him. I used a drill and took them out in pieces. I then used a hole saw and a bur to get out all the crap that was fused to the inside of the housing. Major pain in the ***. The lowers weren't nearly as bad. I used an impact gun on that bolt and it finally gave.

Quick Reply: Control arms rule!!