4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

supercharger question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 08:41 PM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Default supercharger question

I was interested in getting a procharger P-1SC kit for my 03GT with full exhaust. Now my questions are these.

1) How much horsepower can I make safely with stock internals?

2) Since the supercharger does shorten the engine life if you use it ( and I plan to use it not all the time but every so often when I want to punch it and it's going to be my daily driver) should I save up for another motor so when my engine dies I can just get a new one or should I just slap forged internals on there and call it a day? My engine has 34,000 miles on it.

3) I actually heard of the procharger saving you gas? Have I been deceived or is this true? If so does it increase city or or highway economy and by how much?

4) Lastly, should I keep the stock tune that procharger provides or should I get the car dyno tuned?

Thanks everyone for all your input.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:51 PM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

1) 450rwhp should be your "too much" mark. 370-390 is usually a good range.
2) Saving up for a 2nd engine is stupid, if your that concerned, forge your internals.
3) Pretty sure that's B.S. anything that adds power doesn't really help economy. Thats why you see little turbo 4bangers like the Evo and STi getting terrible gas mileage. Added, a supercharger creates drag on your engines drivebelt, meaning your engine has to work harder.
4) Dyno tune.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:03 PM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangcat
2) Saving up for a 2nd engine is stupid, if your that concerned, forge your internals.
3) Pretty sure that's B.S. anything that adds power doesn't really help economy. Thats why you see little turbo 4bangers like the Evo and STi getting terrible gas mileage. Added, a supercharger creates drag on your engines drivebelt, meaning your engine has to work harder.
4) Dyno tune.
1) Would 400hp be a good marker or just flat out 390hp?
2) So what's the benefit to forged internals? Will it make my engine last longer or what?
3)Couldn't hurt to ask.
4) In what way would a dyno tune benefit me over the stock tune that comes with the procharger kit?
Old 02-13-2009, 09:21 PM
Fobra
Banned

Originally Posted by mustangcat
4) Dyno tune.

the purpose of a turbo on 99% of factory cars is to increase efficiency...

380 rwhp with an intercooler and safe tune should be your goal, that way you can beat on it and not worry about it.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:23 PM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fobra

380 rwhp with an intercooler and safe tune should be your goal, that way you can beat on it and not worry about it.
That's exactly what I want. No worries makes me a happy man!!!
Old 02-13-2009, 09:35 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kongdong
2) So what's the benefit to forged internals? Will it make my engine last longer or what?
3)Couldn't hurt to ask.
4) In what way would a dyno tune benefit me over the stock tune that comes with the procharger kit?

For #3, you can get around factory gas mileage compared to root or whipple style superchargers because you won't hit boost until mid RPM. So if you stay out of it you can get good gas mileage.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:40 PM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by vanquish
For #3, you can get around factory gas mileage compared to root or whipple style superchargers because you won't hit boost until mid RPM. So if you stay out of it you can get good gas mileage.
I normally baby it but every so often I like to let it rip so I can expect to stay where I'm currently at in fuel economy right?
Old 02-13-2009, 10:51 PM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

Originally Posted by kongdong
3)Couldn't hurt to ask.
1) Either or. Just depends on how fast your trying to go. Unless your trying for bragging rights, horsepower and torque are just a number. 1/4 mile times are where the truth is.
2) Thanks to Ford, Modular motors(even Cobras and the 5.4L Lightning) have weak rods which are prone to breakage under stress. Theres a video on youtube of a stock Cobra blowing a rod, and theres a guy around here with a SVT Lightning that blew a rod. Forging your internals will allow you to run higher boost without causing catastrophic engine failure.
4) The procharger tune is canned. Meaning it's a dime a dozen for all Mustangs in general and not specifically built for your specific car. With a dyno tune, the operator can give you a precise tune taking into account every little detail, including bolt on mods.

Originally Posted by Fobra
Eh? Maybe in a diesel engine.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:53 AM
mntraynum

get another motor and go with all forged internals its expensive but you wont have to worry about hurting your motor. it will be built for boost. i have a 4.6 pm if interested
Old 02-14-2009, 04:50 PM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mntraynum
get another motor and go with all forged internals its expensive but you wont have to worry about hurting your motor. it will be built for boost. i have a 4.6 pm if interested
What's a 4.6 pm? How much is it?

Quick Reply: supercharger question