4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Advantages to a dyno tune??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 09:18 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

hmm good info guys.. i dont have many mods.. just hi-flow catted X, borla catback, diablosport tuner, and an intake.... not much, but i just know my car is running rich.. with the hi-flow cats and all, it just smells so damn rich...

i've heard a lot of good things about dyno tunes, and some of you just proved that to me..

damn kev, you make me wanna go get it done right NAOW!!! lol what i would give to gain .4 in the 1/4.. i just want a quick street car.. i dont have things to install engine-wise so i think a dyno-tune would be ideal for me for now until i buy new parts which wont be for a while. im still on the styling portion of my car..

anyway, so the dyno tune will let me know EXACTLY how my car is running A/F wise and everything right?? so i'll take it for a base run, my results will show up.. maybe ill take out some * of timing and add fuel or w/e the mechanic says/does, and then just keep running it until it runs perfect right??? it sounds easy enough with a tuner... my mechanic will know what he is doing but i just want to know
Old 02-18-2009, 09:26 PM
Bullitt5339
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTRACER88
Yea. I paid 500 dollars for mine. And hoss said in SA they charge 250 average. I should have made a road trip
Well, if you don't have the X3 already, that's a great price.

Figure:

$379 for the X3
$85 per hour for dyno time

Like the guy before, they wanted $650. After you buy the tuner, and even if they get it perfect in one hour, you're actually paying $186 for them to tune your car, which isn't a bad deal. I'm sure when Hoss said they charged $250, that's just for the tuning and dyno time, providing you already have the tuner, which is about right.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:28 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I have a full bolt on gt, and switched from a canned tune to a dyno tune when i did my nitrous. What surprised me is that my car dynoed the same peak n/a numbers, but is noticeably faster. My brothers 06 gt would always start slightly pulling me (always without fail) once we hit third gear, and now it is dead even every time. Which tells me i picked up (under the curve) power.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:31 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

that is something that seems to happen alot with these cars, its really easy to pick up a bunch of torque but the peak HP doesnt go up all that much comparatively

But its defiantly a difference driving around.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:32 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

thank you for the input ^^^ looks like our cars (even slightly modified) can use a nice dyno tune... i've hard of people gaining sick numbers, and ive also heard of people like you, not gaining numbers, but having a difference in his/her power curve
Old 02-18-2009, 09:32 PM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bullitt5339
Well, if you don't have the X3 already, that's a great price.

Figure:

$379 for the X3
$85 per hour for dyno time

Like the guy before, they wanted $650. After you buy the tuner, and even if they get it perfect in one hour, you're actually paying $186 for them to tune your car, which isn't a bad deal. I'm sure when Hoss said they charged $250, that's just for the tuning and dyno time, providing you already have the tuner, which is about right.
I chose not to have a tuner. I wanted a dial so i can toggle between nitrous tune and N/A tune with out having to turn the car off, wait 5 minutes to load the tune, and go from there. I also asked hoss if thats the price 250 Including a tuner, and he said yes. Maybe he will see this and chime in later.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:37 PM
Kmelfi11
4th Gear Member

haha i actually made less power after i had it tuned, but when i was at the track i advanced the spark so i might be making out even now. like said above though the power curve was so much better. I also found out that my car was still pulling at 5800 so i changed my shifting from 5200 to 5700 from the 13.2 to 12.8.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:42 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kmelfi11
haha i actually made less power after i had it tuned, but when i was at the track i advanced the spark so i might be making out even now. like said above though the power curve was so much better. I also found out that my car was still pulling at 5800 so i changed my shifting from 5200 to 5700 from the 13.2 to 12.8.
i never thought about the fact that you can find out where your car continues to make power up until... pulling up to 5700 is MUCH better than 5250 or w/e it is... is advancing your spark safe?? i want to try and tune my car myself but idk wtf im doing at all.. and i cant listen for detonation like everyone says consider my exhaust is too loud to hear a damn thing under WOT.. idc about how much power i make or lose, i just want a nice power curve
Old 02-19-2009, 07:01 AM
Kmelfi11
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
i never thought about the fact that you can find out where your car continues to make power up until... pulling up to 5700 is MUCH better than 5250 or w/e it is... is advancing your spark safe?? i want to try and tune my car myself but idk wtf im doing at all.. and i cant listen for detonation like everyone says consider my exhaust is too loud to hear a damn thing under WOT.. idc about how much power i make or lose, i just want a nice power curve
if youll buy rims and bolt ons then spend the money on the tune. its petty much like another mod, but youll actually get something out of this one haha. and i was told i can advance it a few deg and i only did it 1deg. car runs better then ever with it like that.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:54 AM
rob.d
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
IMO never advance timing unless you are on a dyno. You will never know what the results will be by advancing one degree on the street. Unless your tune is way off. The butt dyno has trouble seeing 1-5 rwhp. The dyno could show you if the added degree of timing is worth the risk. Learn how to tune and you will be able to get more out of your tuner and your car. Most tuners will not spend the proper amount of time to get everything dialed in correctly. Its not that they are bad tuners or lazy tuners it just business.

Quick Reply: Advantages to a dyno tune??