4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Advantages to a dyno tune??

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:30 AM
Kmelfi11
4th Gear Member

my tuner told me that i could do it, so it wasnt something i just did.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:26 AM
rob.d
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kmelfi11
my tuner told me that i could do it, so it wasnt something i just did.
First off I not trying to be an a$$ I just want to ask you what sounds logical. If your tuner dyno tuned it and got the tune spot on (AFR/Timing). Using a calabrated instrument (dyno). Then why the hell would he tell YOU the paying customer. That you could add a degree of timing if you want. He should have never told you that. That is bad info to tell people to just start adding timing because you can. If he thought the added timing was worth the risk then he would have added it himself. Just my .02

Don't get caught up in this much timing is good. Then more must be better. If you paid your tuner and trust him then leave the tune alone. Changing AFR or timing without proper knowledge can be costly trust me I have seen it first hand.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:46 AM
Kmelfi11
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rob.d
First off I not trying to be an a$$ I just want to ask you what sounds logical. If your tuner dyno tuned it and got the tune spot on (AFR/Timing). Using a calabrated instrument (dyno). Then why the hell would he tell YOU the paying customer. That you could add a degree of timing if you want. He should have never told you that. That is bad info to tell people to just start adding timing because you can. If he thought the added timing was worth the risk then he would have added it himself. Just my .02

Don't get caught up in this much timing is good. Then more must be better. If you paid your tuner and trust him then leave the tune alone. Changing AFR or timing without proper knowledge can be costly trust me I have seen it first hand.
I never said or told anyone to add timing, i said what i did. I will trust my tuner because i know he knows what he is talking about. He knew i was going to the track and said its still safe to do it. I know my car is running good so oh well.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Fleet99GT
1st Gear Member

I had asked this same question about six months ago and someone gave me an article with the diablo tuner and advancing the timing if you run 93 octane u can advance your timing to the max 10* without harm. i will try to find the article and post it on here
Old 02-19-2009, 03:47 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

i have heard of that^^^ but me personally im not going to go do that to my car not knowing what its doing to my engine ya know? im not going to advance all the timing... ive heard that diablo is pretty much idiot proof and very safe and that its almost virtually impossible to blow an engine from the tuner itself, but im not going to switch things up unless i know what im doing
Old 02-19-2009, 09:03 PM
rob.d
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fleet99GT
I had asked this same question about six months ago and someone gave me an article with the diablo tuner and advancing the timing if you run 93 octane u can advance your timing to the max 10* without harm. i will try to find the article and post it on here
You might be able to but what is the benifit. Try to imagine tuning like being on a map. AFR on one axis and timing being the other axis. On this map you want to be in the middle. If you look at tuning like that then you will understand why it not always a good idea to add all the timing without seein any benifits or going as lean as possible. You want a safe afr with the right amount of timing.

Now remember all tunes are not the some examples auto x, drag racing, and 24 hr le mans would require a different kind of tune for each race. Lets take a look at the next example.

Lets say your car made 300 rwhp at 12.9 afr and 303 rwhp at 13.5 afr. Which afr ratio would you pick and why? Same goes for timing lets use 19* you made 300 rwhp, 20* 305 rwhp, 24* 306 rwhp 25* you get knock. What degree of timing set would you stop at and why?

This is the reason why you should use a dyno to do timing. You are able to justify the risk of the added degree of timing added. Most tuners would not even post info like this because it takes away from there buisness. I on the other had don't care because this is a learning forum and would like to help some people get a better understanding about tuning.

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
i have heard of that^^^ but me personally im not going to go do that to my car not knowing what its doing to my engine ya know? im not going to advance all the timing... ive heard that diablo is pretty much idiot proof and very safe and that its almost virtually impossible to blow an engine from the tuner itself, but im not going to switch things up unless i know what im doing
Very smart choice and very true.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:32 PM
Fleet99GT
1st Gear Member

I agree with everything that you've said. I Basically took the dyno sheet from the article with the stock afr that the tuner sets and with the advance on the timing that it showed. I took it up and test drove my car and it did feel like it was more responsive then the standard diable tune. I do agree that just maxing out the spark isnt everything but it seems to work well with the afr that is set with the tune. Now that i think about it if his afr was tuned with a dyno then the spark way need to be adjusted differently
Old 02-21-2009, 12:00 AM
rob.d
1st Gear Member

I agree with everything that you've said. I Basically took the dyno sheet from the article with the stock afr that the tuner sets and with the advance on the timing that it showed. I took it up and test drove my car and it did feel like it was more responsive then the standard diable tune. I do agree that just maxing out the spark isnt everything but it seems to work well with the afr that is set with the tune. Now that i think about it if his afr was tuned with a dyno then the spark way need to be adjusted differently
Im not a 100% sure I fully understand your question. I only use a dyno to get the afr in the ball park. Just make sure you try to use a mustang dyno. Thats about as close as you are going to get to tuning on the street. Then do some street/track wot runs and make sure the afr is still the same. If you use a dyno jet your afr could be off by .5 or more from my test.

That is one reason why I still use the street/track to tune. Spark in my eyes should only be done on the dyno. You will be able to see the benifit of added spark like we said earlier.

I hope I answered your question if not post up again. That last sentence through me off a little.

Last edited by rob.d; 02-21-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:32 AM
Fleet99GT
1st Gear Member

When u use the preset diablo tune im not too sure if it does anything to the cars original afr but i did not adjust mine further becuase i didnt have a dyno to know if what i was doing was optimizing it. But I had read an article saying that if you use the diable preset tune and advance the spark timing it had shown to produce about 12 more RWHP. With that in mind I was saying that my original post was wrong because I believe he said he did have his car dynoed to optimize afr. And he may not want or need to go as far with the spark becuase it may already be optimal. Pretty much just admitting that my first reply in this thread was inacurate.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:54 AM
rob.d
1st Gear Member

When u use the preset diablo tune im not too sure if it does anything to the cars original afr but i did not adjust mine further becuase i didnt have a dyno to know if what i was doing was optimizing it. But I had read an article saying that if you use the diable preset tune and advance the spark timing it had shown to produce about 12 more RWHP. With that in mind I was saying that my original post was wrong because I believe he said he did have his car dynoed to optimize afr. And he may not want or need to go as far with the spark becuase it may already be optimal. Pretty much just admitting that my first reply in this thread was inacurate.
Got it and yes very true. I seen some cars being able to take more timing then other. Sometimes it is due to a rich fuel mixture. Some preset diablo tuners that I have seen had the afr 12.5 It just depends on the car and the mods.