4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Typhoon intake manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:33 PM
97gold
2nd Gear Member

i also heard that the typhoon intake since it's satin instead of plastic the air don't stay like it would through a pi intake.if ur planning on getting cam's i would get 1 thats my next plan
Old 02-19-2009, 06:31 AM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

if you resad i tihnk it says 35 rwhp at 6500 rpms lol
Old 02-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Epinephrine186
2nd Gear Member

well i have the typhoon intake package and i was actualy pleased with it. thought it was worth it. so does my buddy. He's been dynoed since then. he picked up 32 rwhp. and if people actualy read some of the articles on them they say that the fault in them is something in the manufaturing doesnt make them exactly alike. its a manufaturing flaw in some of them
Old 02-19-2009, 04:22 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

I have one and it is fine. The stock one cracked, spraying coolant everywhere. I didn't want to deal with that again, so I picked up the Typhoon. It was the only affordable option at the time, and was better than getting another plastic intake that would just crack on me.

The intake bolted right up and I have had zero problems with it in the nearly two or so years I have had it. And my heater still works, so I don't know what is up with that one thread. I guess some of them are hit or miss, and maybe I got lucky and got a good one. Not sure I got any real performance gain, nothing I could feel, anyway, so I am guessing no. But, I don't have to worry about cracking the thing.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SINISTER
I have one and it is fine. The stock one cracked, spraying coolant everywhere. I didn't want to deal with that again, so I picked up the Typhoon. It was the only affordable option at the time, and was better than getting another plastic intake that would just crack on me.

The intake bolted right up and I have had zero problems with it in the nearly two or so years I have had it. And my heater still works, so I don't know what is up with that one thread. I guess some of them are hit or miss, and maybe I got lucky and got a good one. Not sure I got any real performance gain, nothing I could feel, anyway, so I am guessing no. But, I don't have to worry about cracking the thing.

Hey man you are the one that turned me away from the typhoon. I don't see that thing making 35 rwhp... I bought the cams and could'nt have been happier....
Old 02-20-2009, 12:46 AM
joaquinGT
2nd Gear Member

I have a typhoon intake, JLT CAI and Accufab TB and plenum and yes it makes a difference but its not really noticeable. By the way, I have a Spec Stage 2 cutch too, and it has 1000 miles on it, is it normal that it engages right almost when the pedal is all the way released? How do you have it adjusted? When I installed it it was bad but not this bad? Help please, thanks.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:02 AM
jivepepper
3rd Gear Member

After the ones I have seen leak coolant and lose power I wouldn't own one. I just sold their plenum and throttle body and I was happy with them.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:33 AM
tws1098
4th Gear Member

As far intake manifolds go the best ones are going to be the P-51 from foxlake and the trickflow (trackheat I think?). I wouldn't advise going near the typhoon.

For those commenting about TB & Plenum, Accufab is going to be your best bet, but upgrading the TB&P is pretty worthless for the time and money spent.

As for the clutch problem, it should be adjustable. It would be better if it engaged around halfway.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:08 PM
joaquinGT
2nd Gear Member

How do I make it to engage at half way?
Old 02-20-2009, 01:10 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Hey man you are the one that turned me away from the typhoon. I don't see that thing making 35 rwhp... I bought the cams and could'nt have been happier....
Right. I bought mine as a replacement for the cracked stock manifold. For that reason alone, I was happy with it. However, had my stock intake been fine, and I bought the Typhoon for performance gain, I would have felt like I wasted my money. My car, as it sits now, has dynoed only 252 rwhp. Other cars like mine with similar mods, but with the stock intake manifold, dyno about the same. Therefore, as a performance mod, it would be worthless, in my opinion.

Glad you went with the cams and are happy.

Quick Reply: Typhoon intake manifold?