4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need Help H.I.D Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 02:05 PM
HateWhatOwnsYou
2nd Gear Member

since when is it illegal to put hid's in a stock headlight?

thats the dumbest thing ive heard

BTW
metal halide bulbs dont need to be focused any more than a standard bulb,
a reflector is all they need......

Last edited by HateWhatOwnsYou; 02-19-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:10 PM
alexr
★★★★★

Originally Posted by HateWhatOwnsYou
since when is it illegal to put hid's in a stock headlight?

thats the dumbest thing ive heard

BTW
metal halide bulbs dont need to be focused any more than a standd bulb....
a reflector is all they need......
YES THEY DO.

dont think im pulling this out of my ***. i deal with halogen, incandescent, quartz, metal halide, high pressure sodium, mercury vapor, and fluorescent bulbs EVERYDAY.

Last edited by alexr; 02-19-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:17 PM
HateWhatOwnsYou
2nd Gear Member

i have a 500w metal halide light thats over my saltwater tank....
every saltwater MH fixture has is a simple reflector.....

MH street light have a reflector.....

ive never heard of any MHprojector lamp

anyways back on topic, throw your HID back in you stock lamps.... you will love it
Old 02-19-2009, 02:25 PM
alexr
★★★★★

i have a 500w metal halide light thats over my saltwater tank....
every saltwater MH fixture has is a simple reflector.....

MH street light have a reflector.....

ive never heard of any MHprojector lamp
thats because all youre trying to do is FLOOD the light. did you ever see what a FLOOD lamp does? a flood lamp is made to FLOOD the area. automotive headlights ARE NOT used to flood light. automotive headlights are designed to FOCUS the light at a particular object/direction. this being the road.

a FLOODED light beam, does not light up anything in particular. it does nothing more than make anything that is reflective, bounce light back.

if you ever sit in a car that came with HID's from the factory, 1 you'll notice that before you get in the car, theyre used with PROJECTORS. 2nd, you'll notice that the light is focused on the road in front of you.

putting HID's in a REFLECTIVE housing, does not focus the light. it FLOODS the light, which does NOT light up the road. it makes all the signs for about 2 miles in front of you reflect back at you, but thats about it.

High Pressure Sodium is another type of HID bulb. did you ever notice in a parking lot that has those bulbs (the yellow ones), that even when theyre shined directly at the ground, they dont create a "yellow" spot on the ground? its because by the time the light gets to the ground, its too diffused to create a focused spot.

putting HID bulbs into a projector INTENSIFIES the light, and directs it towards where you want it to go, which makes the bulb's beam stronger and project a much farther distance before diffusing.

anyways back on topic, throw your HID back in you stock lamps.... you will love it
no you wont.

Last edited by alexr; 02-19-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:37 PM
alexr
★★★★★

if you have a flashlight at home, one with a lens that can be rotated to change the focus of the beam, go outside with it tonight. put the flashlight on its most focused setting (so that the beam is small and focused on a small area). that is what headlights are supposed to look like. halogens will have that orangeish hue to them like your flashlight does, and HID's will have a pure white or bluish tint to them.

then, take your flashlight, and rotate the lens to its widest setting. this is what HID's look like in halogen housings (disregard the color). you will notice, that the light beam spread to cover more area, but the intensity is greatly lower.

the best way to do this experiment, is put someone about 30 yards away from you, at night and do the same thing as i described above. with the flashlight set on its most focused setting, you should be able to see the person in front of you. with it set on its widest setting, you will probably not be able to see the person 30yds in front of you, or if you can, you wont be able to see much of the person.

the most focused setting on the flashlight, represents halogen bulbs in halogen housings AND h.i.d. bulbs in PROJECTORS. the widest setting (the one that covers the most area, but has the lowest intensity), represents HID's in HALOGEN HOUSINGS.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:19 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

^ he does know what hes taking about, ive hear the same thing^
Anyways ARdoller, you tried your best and gave information that is relevant and correct to the thread, what else can you do?

The previous owner of my mustang had HID's and removed them becuase "they didn't light the road up"

Is the fogs this way too? i can't tell, but i wanted to HID the fogs at one point.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:53 PM
alexr
★★★★★

IMO, the fogs are novelty anyway, especially if youre using the stock ones that have that textured lens over it... so it really wouldnt matter if you put HID's in them or not. only reason id do it, is to match the bulb color to the HID's in the headlights.

the best options for the headlights, is either purchase a set of projectors for them, or retrofit a projector lens into your stock headlamps. yes, i know, aftermarket projectors for our cars look like ****, but there are ones out there, that wouldnt look so bad if they were painted. someone on another site, had a set of all chrome projectors, and he took the lenses off, and painted everything but the glass projector lens itself, black, which made it look very nice.

ill find a picture of it and put it on here.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:56 PM
alexr
★★★★★

here's a picture of a set of customized projectors. he took the projectors and painted them black. they almost look like normal headlights, and you barely notice the projector lens.

Last edited by alexr; 02-19-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:02 PM
alexr
★★★★★

oh, and for anyone else who thinks im making it up, or pulling this stuff out of my ***, here's a response i got from someone else on here when i explained how bad the light output is when driving with them.

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
Originally Posted by ARdoller
coming from someone that has yet to do a projector swap/retrofit, ive never had a problem with blinding other people, or having other people flash back at me... its more so the light output for yourself. as you probably know, from having HID's in the wrong housings, the only time you can even tell your headlights are even on, is when everything around you is basically pitch black, and its not raining.

if there is any type of ambient light around, i cant even tell my headlights are on, and if its raining, i always find myself checking to see if my headlights are turned on.

in the halogen housings, yes. they "spot" rather than "flood", and they dont aim much farther than the low beams. i almost never use the high beams, because of how useless they are. in projectors, thats a different story.

no idea. you'd have to check the specs of the ballast kits for the dual beam kits and the single beam kit and see if they match.
HAHAHA that describes me exactlyyy... with the 8k and smoked clear corners, im like "are my lights even on? i cant see a thing..." than i'll get to a pitch black road and light it up... and in the rain, or when other cars are around, i also check if my lights are even on haha..
Old 02-19-2009, 04:02 PM
MustangMan00
5th Gear Member

I agree and disagree with ardoller at the same time....

I have HID heads and fogs. I love the way they look and for me personally its plenty of light for me too see. I'm sure it annoys other drivers but its not my daily driver.

Even cars that come stock with projectors and HIDs have halogen fogs, thats bcause HIDs dont do sh*t in foggy conditions. It just makes it worst by reflecting light off the fog and back at you.

But in conclusion I wouldn't go back to stock for them looking great on my car and enough light output to satisfy me.

on a side note HIDs in the fog lights make for GREAT peripheral vision, but stock bulbs, they are purely cosmetic

Quick Reply: Need Help H.I.D Lights