4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

mysterious oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 02:31 PM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

Default mysterious oil leak

ok so i have been mysteriously loosing oil for awhile now with no visiable oil leaks. i normally park on flat ground, but this past week i had to pull alittle farther in my driveway which is an incline. today after about 5 days of sitting i moved my car and checked for oil drips like i always do and there was three pretty big oil spots i jacked the car up and i couldn't find where the oil was coming from. there wasn't any oil residue anywhere. i'm stumped where is the leak coming from?
Old 02-20-2009, 04:45 PM
joaquinGT
2nd Gear Member

are you sure it was oil? it could be the power steering pump...or tranny fluid
Old 02-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Fleet99GT
1st Gear Member

yeah it could be PS fluid coming from the rack, or PS pump. check around the oil pan gasket and you're rear main seal, also check for any dripping from your oil filter. if you can get a good look under there.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:22 AM
joaquinGT
2nd Gear Member

Check on the power steering pump, mine leaks and I thought it was oil til I looked under there.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:52 PM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

i'm pretty sure its oil because it was brown and had the consistancy of oil. i haven't changed the power steering fluid, but thats a redish color so unless its incredibly dirty its not that. oil filter is nice and tight with no visiable leaks and the oil drain plug is good 2. its like its leaking all the time, but pooling somewhere and when the front end of the car is raised alittle it drips from where its pooling. so where could he be pooling???? my head gasket is new i meani gues it could be leaking from there but its kinda hard to get under there and check. i gues if i stay on top of it its not a big deal just trying to gather some info for the spring when i can better asses the situation
Old 02-21-2009, 04:51 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

It's not uncommon on all cars that when the rear main seal is weeping or leaking the oil will pool up a bit in the bellhousing...

Originally Posted by massred98gt
i'm pretty sure its oil because it was brown and had the consistancy of oil. i haven't changed the power steering fluid, but thats a redish color so unless its incredibly dirty its not that. oil filter is nice and tight with no visiable leaks and the oil drain plug is good 2. its like its leaking all the time, but pooling somewhere and when the front end of the car is raised alittle it drips from where its pooling. so where could he be pooling???? my head gasket is new i meani gues it could be leaking from there but its kinda hard to get under there and check. i gues if i stay on top of it its not a big deal just trying to gather some info for the spring when i can better asses the situation
Old 02-21-2009, 05:18 PM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

i know i have a small leak where the drive shaft connects to the transmission (correct me if i'm wrong but that is the output shaft seal?) because there is an oilly mess under there. i'm not talking about drippin oily mess but you can tell that a small leak is present and the output shaft is flinging it as it spins. again not enough to cause drips from sitting for five days. SH*T i hate these problems because they are a pain to find.

just to make sure its not my rings how do i perform a leak down test??? i have a compression tester and i'm pretty good at jury rigging things. i used the search funtion but i didn't get to many hits don't konw why. sry for the long post i'm bored as hell waiting for my girlfriend to come back from cheerleading practice lol
Old 02-21-2009, 06:58 PM
Donnie's GTS
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by massred98gt
i know i have a small leak where the drive shaft connects to the transmission (correct me if i'm wrong but that is the output shaft seal?) because there is an oilly mess under there. i'm not talking about drippin oily mess but you can tell that a small leak is present and the output shaft is flinging it as it spins. again not enough to cause drips from sitting for five days. SH*T i hate these problems because they are a pain to find.

just to make sure its not my rings how do i perform a leak down test??? i have a compression tester and i'm pretty good at jury rigging things. i used the search funtion but i didn't get to many hits don't konw why. sry for the long post i'm bored as hell waiting for my girlfriend to come back from cheerleading practice lol
if it was your rings you'd have blue smoke coming out the tailpipes, not leaking. Its leaking somewhere from a bad seal if you can't see it.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:56 PM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Donnie's GTS
if it was your rings you'd have blue smoke coming out the tailpipes, not leaking. Its leaking somewhere from a bad seal if you can't see it.

Ya i know. i'm getting a small puff of blue smoke when i start the car after sitting for awhile 2 so i figured i'd do a leak down test as well. hopefully give me an excuse for stroking my car. what seal could it be????it could only be the the oilpan gasket, timing cover, head gasket, or vavle covers. right? so the leak down test how do u do it? do u need a compressor?
Old 02-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Donnie's GTS
4th Gear Member

no, it could be the rear main seal as well. how many miles do you have?

Quick Reply: mysterious oil leak