4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Stock 3:27 vs 3:55 gears swap. Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 01:23 AM
saleen0101
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fleet99GT
4.10's!! i still get over 300 miles to a tank. Had a big thread about it on here about 6 months ago i guess. Theres no need to talk crap to anyone on here its really not going to get anyone anywhere. I use the search sometimes but I'd still like an opinion from someone presently on certian views that may change periodically. If you dont want to comment on someones question then there is no need to say anything. Just pretend that you never saw it and go about your business.
I agree 100% with you Fleet99GT, thanks for your thoughts.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:38 AM
Fleet99GT
1st Gear Member

No problem, and i was doing a ton of Highway driving every week for a year i was driving from Harrisburg PA to Baltimore MD. U will run about 2500 rpms at 70mph if you have a 5 speed with 4.10's. If you plan on staying NA anything less will not make enough impact for you to be happy with the money spent.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:36 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

I would go 3.73 or 3.90's....
Old 02-21-2009, 07:46 AM
cobra dreamer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by saleen0101
Go F@uck myself huh? I thought that's what your mom was for?? Anyways, Yo I thought this forum was for helping fellow mustang owners not flaming each other? FYI, I already did a search and didnt find my exact question so I decided to post my question. I didnt need your "Useless" commentary , I am not gonna waste my time arguing with a moron like you because I am not gonna go down to your level, you'll beat me with experience! By the way, your car on cardomain,yea, looks like sh^T, nothing special about it!!!
haha if you only lived 3000 miles closer

and like there is anything special about yours
Old 02-21-2009, 08:13 AM
tws1098
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by saleen0101
Go F@uck myself huh? I thought that's what your mom was for?? Anyways, Yo I thought this forum was for helping fellow mustang owners not flaming each other? FYI, I already did a search and didnt find my exact question so I decided to post my question. I didnt need your "Useless" commentary , I am not gonna waste my time arguing with a moron like you because I am not gonna go down to your level, you'll beat me with experience! By the way, your car on cardomain,yea, looks like sh^T, nothing special about it!!!
Look, you came on here and asked a question that is all over the forums. We have a newbie guide in both 4.6 sections to prevent threads like this from always popping up. Cobra Dreamer was merely pointing out that you really need to use the search function...and don't give me the bullsh!t that you didn't find it because it is there. And if you think he was flaming you, then you will be in for a rude awakening down the line. Trust me I have been there. I know his response was not what you wanted to hear, but if you read other threads you would have never asked this to begin with. No one ever recommends 3.55s unless you are pushing a lot of boost. BTW you can check out the link in my sig for some good threads. There is nothing wrong with posting repeat questions, just be prepared to ignore some of the answers

Good luck with your gear choice.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:01 AM
jRock617
2nd Gear Member

3.55s will give u a minumum acceleration increase over your stock gears , but not enough to justify payng for the gears and install. The only people i reccomend 3.55s to are the ones who are running TONS of boost (15psi+) because they will run out of gear very quickly with that much power to the wheels.
Your best bet would be to get 3.73s (although i prefer 4.10s). As long as you don't drive WOT all day long, you gas milage will not suffer.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:01 AM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

+1 jrock
Old 02-21-2009, 11:13 AM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fleet99GT
No problem, and i was doing a ton of Highway driving every week for a year i was driving from Harrisburg PA to Baltimore MD. U will run about 2500 rpms at 70mph if you have a 5 speed with 4.10's. If you plan on staying NA anything less will not make enough impact for you to be happy with the money spent.
I want to get 4.10's in my stang, but, hows holding the rpm at 2500 at 70, does it seem like you are always fighting it to stay at speed? I only ask because with my 2.73 right now i am at 1500 at about 60 and i don't need to hit the gas almost at all to maintain speed.

BTW 3.55 FTL, you should listen to what these guys say (for the most part), years of experience in some of these guys. If you do a lot highway, i would say 3.73, 4.10 is a steep for a consistent highway driver, BUT, there have been cases of people on here getting good gas mileage with 4.10s on the highway. there was a thread on 4.10s a bit ago that had some real good info. MPG has a lot to do with you, as said i increased my psi to 37 and gained a few more mpg, i managed to get 28mpg in the Adirondacks and 23 around town. (Adirondacks was 28, 30 and 56 going to Clarkson University from exit 23 on I87)
Old 02-21-2009, 02:21 PM
saleen0101
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cobra dreamer
haha if you only lived 3000 miles closer

and like there is anything special about yours
Man, you wont do sh@t , 3000 miles my ***, Dont try to be an internet gangster ok. Last time I checked, Saleens are more special than GTs so obviously more special than your car that looks like SH#T! Do everyone a favor and Take your car off cardomain!
Old 02-21-2009, 02:27 PM
saleen0101
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tws1098
Look, you came on here and asked a question that is all over the forums. We have a newbie guide in both 4.6 sections to prevent threads like this from always popping up. Cobra Dreamer was merely pointing out that you really need to use the search function...and don't give me the bullsh!t that you didn't find it because it is there. And if you think he was flaming you, then you will be in for a rude awakening down the line. Trust me I have been there. I know his response was not what you wanted to hear, but if you read other threads you would have never asked this to begin with. No one ever recommends 3.55s unless you are pushing a lot of boost. BTW you can check out the link in my sig for some good threads. There is nothing wrong with posting repeat questions, just be prepared to ignore some of the answers

Good luck with your gear choice.
Look, this forum is to help fellow mustang owners out and I wanted to get a straight answer with different opinions. Doing a search will get some answers that are not totally relevent in regards to my specific question. And there is always a different answer from different people. I dont give a rats *** about usless info about doing a search, if it bothers cobra dreamer that much he shouldnt waste his time or mine by commenting on my post and just ignore it.

Quick Reply: Stock 3:27 vs 3:55 gears swap. Worth it?