4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

mach 1 heads on GT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 03:07 AM
aftershock00
1st Gear Member

Default mach 1 heads on GT?

dont know if this is a stupid question but....i want a significant power increase and before i go forced induction i was thinking....hey, the mach one is N/A and that 300hp. Its the same size block. Maybe i can get mach 1 heads and basically have a mach one engine. Is this at all pheasable? So far i have catback exhaust, intake, and diablo predator.. its pretty fast but i want it to be faster.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:22 PM
Obselite
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: mach 1 heads on GT?

dohc =/= sohc
Old 06-12-2005, 11:50 PM
Quatrocky
2nd Gear Member

obselite is right cant put 4v heads on a 2v
Old 06-13-2005, 12:19 AM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Thats not true, you can put 4v heads on a 2v motor. You just have to buy the heads, cams, intake manifold, timing cover, throttle body, cold air intake, and a wiring harness. I have been looking into making my GT motor a DOHC. It makes soooo much more sense than investing in ported heads, aftermarket cams, and bulle intake. When I could just spend almost the same amount for something thats much better.

I know it can be done. I just dont know the steps involved and the exact parts needed for the swap.

I am planning on writing a letter to a mustang mag, and asking them to do a tech article on it..... You should write a letter to them too. Mabye they will do it.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:45 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aixtreme89

Thats not true, you can put 4v heads on a 2v motor. You just have to buy the heads, cams, intake manifold, timing cover, throttle body, cold air intake, and a wiring harness. I have been looking into making my GT motor a DOHC. It makes soooo much more sense than investing in ported heads, aftermarket cams, and bulle intake. When I could just spend almost the same amount for something thats much better.

I know it can be done. I just dont know the steps involved and the exact parts needed for the swap.

I am planning on writing a letter to a mustang mag, and asking them to do a tech article on it..... You should write a letter to them too. Mabye they will do it.
Its going to be an insanely big job. And I don't think a 4v car with no engine work (just boltons) is going to make 325 RWHP. You can safely make 325 on a 2v engine with heads, cams, and a intake. And it will still probably be cheaper than going with a 4v swap. Not to mention that headwork and camshafts on a 4v are insanely expensive. (so your stuck with the stock stuff unless you are independantly wealthy).

You would be better off just putting a blower on a 2v car. You will make more power by far, and almost certainly spend less money than swapping over to a 4v setup. 400 RWHP is within reach with a stock motor and 9psi. And if you ever get around to doing the heads/cams you will see insane gains.

If you have enough cash to do a 4v swap you might as well just go ahead and buy a 4v car.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:24 AM
thasalvoo
1st Gear Member

i totally agree.... if u want to go 4v then just buy the 4v car.... and whats wrong with a blower??
Old 06-13-2005, 01:26 AM
thasalvoo
1st Gear Member

mine is a 2v with the mods listed and i am making sufficient power
Old 06-13-2005, 01:29 AM
aftershock00
1st Gear Member

well then let me rephrase my topic's title....whats the best way to make HP without sacrificing reliability?
Old 06-13-2005, 01:35 AM
thasalvoo
1st Gear Member

if i had to do it over again i would do a blower..... as far as reliability it all depends on your tune and the driver. A blown motor with the right tune and boost may even last longer than the n/a motor. Its up to you i just wish i bought a blower... if i were u i would go turbo....
Old 06-13-2005, 09:00 AM
aftershock00
1st Gear Member

how would the driver affect reliability. I mean, i maintain it well and always warm it up. Other than that, i dont see how the driver would matter. If i can get over 100k miles with a turbo ill definately do it.

Quick Reply: mach 1 heads on GT?