4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Are brakes this complicated?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 12:55 PM
NinetySix GT
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs down Are brakes this complicated?

Well long story short....I noticed a very weak pedal after changing my rear pads a couple months ago and noticed I had a small leak and also my passenger rear caliper was siezed up. So instead of rebuilding and breaking the car down again cuz its freezing cold out and I just don't have the time/space to do anything like that right now I decided to drop my car off at my local shop. They replaced the caliper and said I needed a new master cylinder...I was like wtf ok fine its prolly just BS but w/e I need my car back so ill fork over the extra cash instead of making a big fuss about it. PIck up my car and once it finally comes to regular running temp all 4 brakes lock up. Not just front 2 or back 2 but all 4. Well lets just say I kept taking it back to the shop and the problem kept repeating itself. I dropped it off they said it was a bad MC so they got a new one, took the car and it happened again. Dropped it off again.....they replaced front two calipers and pads and still happens again. I am no tech, but seriously can the braking system be this retarded? What else is their to replace besides lines and maybe the brake booster? Help greatly apprecited since I haven't had a car for almost a month now and I am just about gonna kill myself. Thanks all.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:24 PM
NinetySix GT
2nd Gear Member

Wow 44 views a no responses? Bump.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:33 PM
tsarp90

Idk if its that the shop is just rippin you off or if there is some random problem goin on that i have never heard of. but if you normally work on cars yourself i would just throw on a bunch of clothes if its cold out and then look at myself, i trust myself over shops that are just tryin to make money.

as for all your brakes locking up....i haven't heard or that problem, but the mc sounds like a viable claim. but like i said i would look at it myself. sorry this doesn't really help much.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:38 PM
Sap
4th Gear Member

Smile

I'll respond, im no expert but I'll tell ya this

The calipers and pads are very simple. Pistons push pads causing friction against rotor. Nothing special there. Ebrake applies mechanical pressure via pads to rear rotor. Simple.

Problem you are encountering sounds like a stuck "something" causing the hydraulic pressure in the brake system to remain even when you release the brake pressure.

Sounds like the brake booster to me. Thats what forces the fluid from the cylinder into the system.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-p...ypes/brake.htm

E.

P.S. - I'm no expert, aside from changing Pads, Rotors and Calipers I haven't done any work on my brakes. Good Luck !