4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

shifting with an auto

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 05:05 AM
DuckyGt
3rd Gear Member

Default shifting with an auto

I ran into one of my buds at the gym today who drives a 98 mustang gt has full bolt ons minus headers and plenum and a rebuilt tranny cuz hes running a 100shot. Ive seen him take out vettes on the street with easy and i was asking him how he launches today cuz he has a auto to and hes puts it into 1 and revs and takes off and then to 2 then to D. Ive never heard of anyone doing this with an auto, maybe im just out of the loop. Well tonight i decided to try it and it seems to shift a whole lot better and faster to do it this way rather then to just keep it in drive when i take off. I know this is probally bad for the tranny but what do yall think ever seen someone do this before. I kinda liked it just need to perfected it. Give me some thoughts im not gonna do it again until i hear some feed back.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:12 AM
YinYangStang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: shifting with an auto

It's not bad for the tranny, whether you're deciding to shift or the computer is, the auto tranny shifts the same way. I've seen it recommended to downshift while coming to a stop to let the engine help stop the car and ease the wear on your brakes. Plus, for the full effect, don't forget to shut overdrive off so you get third, then turn it on for 4th
Old 06-12-2005, 06:13 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

I usually manual shift my Auto for the simple fact that you can stay in gear longer to experience the powerband... It's not necessarily bad for your tranny, and as mentioned before, the tranny is still going to shift the same.. Besides all of that, my tranny is messed up, and it feels like it's either not engaging the right gear in D, or something else..

I also down shift, at least down to 2nd, but just like a 5-spd, you don't want to down shift into 1st.. The gear is not meant to be shifted into unless you're stopped...

JT
95 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 12.7 @ 103mph (R.I.P.)
00 Mustang GT - Too Slow to Race, so far....
Old 06-12-2005, 06:48 AM
ReVz
3rd Gear Member

well ive have my share of fun with the "manual shift"... I tend to find it faster by doing the 1,2,D... its especially fun when u cherp ur tires... hehe.. ive somewhat managed to master the perfect shifts for it.. but yeah I wasn't to sure about the tranny... according to the people that replied before me have said it dosen't which relieves me... do to the fact that I love doing the manual shift... Also.. another thing I tend to do before hand is turn off my Traction Control... Alot of my friends have told me that I gain more power when its off... was just wondering if thats true or not..
but yeah in all means.. have fun with ur stang.. and practice the shifts to make it work out even better for you good luck..
Old 06-12-2005, 11:23 AM
DuckyGt
3rd Gear Member

thx for the info and yes take off your traction control whenever you can thats when the sun is shining and there is no water anywhere in site.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:38 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

You spoiled 99+ guys. The foxes and SN95's don't have TC and we do just fine.

But yeah, in my car I couldn't chirp the 2-3 shift in "D" but I can manually shifting (pre-gears).
Old 06-12-2005, 02:13 PM
YinYangStang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ReVz

Also.. another thing I tend to do before hand is turn off my Traction Control... Alot of my friends have told me that I gain more power when its off... was just wondering if thats true or not..
traction control doesn't give you more power when it's turned off. The only thing it does is suck your power away when it's turned on and it senses the wheels slipping. When the wheels aren't slipping, the traction control does nothing. However, if you expect to power through a turn and the wheels slip and traction control cuts power to ya, it can be a bad thing. About the only time TC is good is while driving in snow or wet and then only when you first start from a stop.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:29 PM
MarcusM
2nd Gear Member

I have a B&M slap shifter in my 99 Auto. I love it. It makes it alot easier and safer to quickly go through the gears. I have a button that I can press and it will turn overdrive on/off. I agree with the others in saying it doesn't hurt the tranny, the computer or you will put it in the next gear, doesn't matter who it is.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:43 PM
98UAGT
2nd Gear Member

I don't know if I just have a wierd tranny, but in D my car shifts perfectly fine. When I try to manually shift it, it takes FOREVER to actually engage. I don't know what the deal is. Right now I hate my shift points because they aren't high enough... oh wait that's not it, because my car doesn't pull after 4800! Damn NPI heads!
Old 06-12-2005, 09:17 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

Hahahahahaha.

Quick Reply: shifting with an auto