4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Stock vs. aftermarket CAI.....in heat

Old 02-27-2009, 05:42 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Default Stock vs. aftermarket CAI.....in heat

So we all know that dropping a K&N filter will yield pretty much the same results as an aftermarket CAI and we should so any spend our money elsewhere. I go to the track pretty often now and even though I have to usually wait over an hour per run....things get really hot and seem to stay hot for a while.

I was wondering if it is worth getting an aftermarket CAI on this basis? How does the stock air intake compare to a JLT for instance when everything is hot? is it worth getting?

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 02-27-2009, 07:47 AM
StylinM6s
2nd Gear Member

Just bring a bag of ice with you and between runs open the hood and put it on top of the intake manifold.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:31 AM
MAD SVT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL
So we all know that dropping a K&N filter will yield pretty much the same results as an aftermarket CAI and we should so any spend our money elsewhere. I go to the track pretty often now and even though I have to usually wait over an hour per run....things get really hot and seem to stay hot for a while.

I was wondering if it is worth getting an aftermarket CAI on this basis? How does the stock air intake compare to a JLT for instance when everything is hot? is it worth getting?

Thanks,
Brandon
+1 on the icing the intake manifold.
The CAI would be better because its pulling outside air, not under hood temp air, if the filter is under the hood pulling air from under the hood, its much much hotter than pulling it from the fenderwell. so as a DD a CAI is probably a better bet. BUT . for the track... I'd just get the K&N filter on a ram air setup... then on race day take out your headlight for the extra air.
CAI = lots of cold air...
RAI w/ removed headlight = lots of cold air smacking into it at 60+ MPH... its like free forced induction... lol

btw... what track do you go to?
Old 02-27-2009, 01:17 PM
jivepepper
3rd Gear Member

The stock is aready pulling air in from the inner fender. I would just drop in a K&N. I never ice my intake just seems like a huge sloppy PIA.

Last edited by jivepepper; 02-27-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:35 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the replies. It's harder for me to ice my intake manifold because it's under everything including the plenum. Plus wouldn't I risk cracking something especially how my intake manifold is plastic? I know you can do this with the S197's or 4V's easier though.

Well I removed the air silencer thingy so it might be drawing some air from the engine compartment. I might put the silencer back in but cut off the narrow bit so it sits flush against the fenderwell opening.

So what about the tubing? would a JLT keep hot air from absorbing much better than the stock rubber one?

Oh I go to Irwindale Speedway...it's a 1/8 mile track. The closest other track I think is Fontana and thats a 1/4 but it's far for me and I've never been before.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:38 PM
jivepepper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL
Oh I go to Irwindale Speedway...it's a 1/8 mile track. The closest other track I think is Fontana and thats a 1/4 but it's far for me and I've never been before.
The closest track for me is 90 miles away. The next is 200 then almost 300.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:50 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

i was just thinking, could you just seal off your stock one to the fender wall. using some materiel to complete the seal so no hot air sneaks in, has anyone else done this?? or is it not worth it.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:04 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jivepepper
The closest track for me is 90 miles away. The next is 200 then almost 300.
Wow....Irwindale is like 35 mile from me and Fontana is like 60-70 I think

Originally Posted by stangalator
i was just thinking, could you just seal off your stock one to the fender wall. using some materiel to complete the seal so no hot air sneaks in, has anyone else done this?? or is it not worth it.
Yeah thats what I was just saying in my previous post...using the stock air silencer and cutting half of it off
Old 02-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Novanutcase
3rd Gear Member

Brandon,

The difference will be so nominal it just ain't worth it. Move on to something else that'll get you more HP.

John

BTW what were those lightbulbs you have? I want to get some for my smoked lights.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:06 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Novanutcase
Brandon,

The difference will be so nominal it just ain't worth it. Move on to something else that'll get you more HP.

John

BTW what were those lightbulbs you have? I want to get some for my smoked lights.
Sylvania silverstar ultra's. The bulb code for our car is 9007