4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Roots vs. Centrifugal!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 01:49 AM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

Default Roots vs. Centrifugal!?!?

I had a question earlier about the TORK Tech superchargers if anyone has heard of them but, I wanted to know about the advantages of the roots blowers vs. centrifugal blowers I have heard that roots blowers hold more heat but would it be that big of a deal if i had a intercooler? And also having the instant boost on tap with the roots is that going to be harder on my engine the supercharger would be going on a motor that has 70k on it so I dont know if i have gone to long with my motor to even supercharger on it with out running into problems I was going to get forged rods and crank and manley H beam rods but would I be safe for a couple months doing a S/C on a car with stock motor except bolt ons for a few months?
Old 03-01-2009, 07:11 AM
MAD SVT
4th Gear Member

your motor will be toast anyways reguardless of which type of blower you use, just do it anyways on a safe tune with like 6 psi for now until you get the motor built.

as far as roots/centri... just pick your poison.. theres pro's and con's to each. I have a roots and im upgrading this week to another roots. =)
Old 03-01-2009, 08:27 AM
mustangman281
Banned

Don't get the tork tech crap if you wanna go roots style. Those things suck. They don't hold boost. It may start at 8psi when you hit it but by the time you get to 6000rpms you will only be making 5psi.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Nolimits31
3rd Gear Member

go twin screw more efficient blowers!
Old 03-01-2009, 02:14 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

what do you mean my engine is toast because of the mileage? and whats another good twin screw besides Kenne Bell ive heard good and bad havent havent made my mind up with them yet does whipple make a kit for the 99-04 gts
Old 03-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Nolimits31
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GrayGhost01GT
what do you mean my engine is toast because of the mileage? and whats another good twin screw besides Kenne Bell ive heard good and bad havent havent made my mind up with them yet does whipple make a kit for the 99-04 gts
Kenne bell is the only twin screw made for the 99-04 gt's whipple does not make a kit. i think he means the gt engines are a ticking time bomb once you throw a s/c on them, our engines are not built to handle a lot of hp which sucks, so 400-420rwhp is the most you want out of the stock block. but kenne bell is the way to go for our cars great low end power, screw the tork tek junk!
Old 03-01-2009, 04:18 PM
kingsofcrunk
3rd Gear Member

Read this:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/supercharger2.htm

Then this:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/supercharger4.htm

Summed up:

Roots superchargers are usually large and sit on top of the engine. They are popular in muscle cars and hot rods because they stick out of the hood of the car. However, they are the least efficient supercharger for two reasons: They add more weight to the vehicle and they move air in discrete bursts instead of in a smooth and continuous flow.

Centrifugal superchargers are the most efficient and the most common of all forced induction systems. They are small, lightweight and attach to the front of the engine instead of the top.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:16 PM
llamatymer
1st Gear Member

Saleen Series IV is twin screw if i'm not mistaken, but it's just as much as Kenne Bell with is far superior than Saleen.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:16 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

U guys have given me some insight I want to run my engine to most cool and effiecent way and get by with the least amount of problems, So do you guys think it would still be an unwise decsion to go with the tork tech kit even in if ran a low boost of 6-8psi but I was really wondering if a procharger setup with intercooler would be a safer bet and put out just as much power since it does have to spool up and have instead of having boost through out the whole RPM band would it run more effective on the motor anyone with a pro charger have any thoughts or someone knows much about them?
Old 03-01-2009, 05:21 PM
1999 GT
3rd Gear Member

kb ftw...a twin screw will deliver boost throughout the majority of the rpm range, centri's are more up top power, they lack a little low end

Quick Reply: Roots vs. Centrifugal!?!?