4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

JLT and strut tower?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 09:13 PM
stangdriver2007
2nd Gear Member

Default JLT and strut tower?

I have a 96 GT and was wondering if the Strut tower and JLT CAI will fit together or does the strut tower have to go?
Old 03-04-2009, 07:09 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I hope you mean strut tower brace? . I want pics if you decide to run w/o strut towers .

I, on the other hand, could conceivably do it as I run an SLA front suspension and strut towers are as empty as a good bottle of cab after a Saturday night dinner with the galpal. I think it will be crowded, but should pass underneath a STB. I run a JLT CAI, but do not have such a brace.

Jazzer
Old 03-04-2009, 10:36 AM
TOOT
3rd Gear Member

I have asked this before and if I remember there is only one manufacture that has one that will work with a 4" JLT ram air tube. Unfortunately It escapes me at the moment.

Last edited by TOOT; 03-05-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:35 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Now that is dedication, *thinking to self* this strut tower has to go if I want my CAI to fit...but how?" lol

Anyway, you may have to research that one a little bit, I have not looking into STB's myself to tell you which one to go with. If it is not the STB you are talking about and you are actually referring to the clearance b/t the tower and the engine, then i can help. It is a tight fit for sure, mine took some tweaking to get just right, I had plenty of room b/t the oil cap and tower, but my angle was off to begin with and just kept pushing and pulling and moving it until it found a nice medium. No rubbing issues now.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:48 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

I have a Kenny brown STB and I know there is no way i could fit a JLT intake, i had to but the stock upper tube back on after I installed my plenum because the crappy ebay alumanium intake actually scrubbed on it.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:11 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
I hope you mean strut tower brace? . I want pics if you decide to run w/o strut towers .

I, on the other hand, could conceivably do it as I run an SLA front suspension and strut towers are as empty as a good bottle of cab after a Saturday night dinner with the galpal. I think it will be crowded, but should pass underneath a STB. I run a JLT CAI, but do not have such a brace.

Jazzer
Wow i just clicked the link you have in your sig. NICE setup. do you have any G readings?
Old 03-04-2009, 04:09 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

+1 I have the exact same rear, but I really wish I had the Griggs double wishbone front.

and do your front summer tires scrub the fender liner at full lock?

also what about your torque arm, I scrape that everywhere do you have same issue?

lol sorry for threadjacking
Old 03-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ Thanks

Nope, not as of yet

One day I will get one of those little devices that can be mounted onto the dash and give such a reading (cannot recall the name at the moment). I have heard they are quite accurate. I get a pretty fair amount of body roll, but boyyyyyyyyy it sticks but GOOD!

Jazzer

EDIT: I guess I type too slow, I will work on that. Ironically, my 295/30's on 10"s don't rub in the slightest, but the 275/35's on 9"s rub on fenders. That extra 1/4" or so is all it takes, I guess. I have my rack limited by one notch, but will investigate whether I can remove them. The torque arm does not rub, as the lowest point is just in front of rear tires. The exhaust couplers rub on EVERYTHING. I have about 2" tops clearance. The Oil pan is scratched up and the whole under side looks like pretty much hell . Fortunately, I have a steel reinforced Canton pan and all is good.

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 03-04-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:22 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

Well you could fix the body roll with some 460lb/in fonts and some 350lb/in rears that's what I run, but ride comfort would go down a bit.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I have thought about heavier springs, but ride is already about all I want to put up with for a DD. Fortunately, I don't drive it daily

With all the spherical joints, it can get pretty noisy already. Run it over one of those really rough roads and my ride shakes like Shakira on steroids!

Jazzer

Quick Reply: JLT and strut tower?