4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Special Forces & SFS Scrape installed, base tune ?s

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 06:16 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

Default Special Forces & SFS Scrape installed, base tune ?s

I installed my special forces and sfs scrape application earlier today and made 87 and 93 oct. base tunes. I can definately feel some difference in the car, but have some questions. Should there be numbers in the fine tuning section from the canned tune built by the program? If not, what numbers have you guys found work well as a starting point to modify the timing off of the canned tune?
Old 03-04-2009, 06:22 PM
99mustanggt
3rd Gear Member

Generally you can go plus 2 on the timing.Dont mess with the fuel without a wideband though and also listen for pinging any time you make an adjustment.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:08 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

+2 on both globals or just on the low-mid-hi adjustments? I don't plan on touching fuel until I get a wideband, but I know I can run a bit more timing.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:01 PM
99mustanggt
3rd Gear Member

low mid high, or just global but not both.I see no need to raise timing during part throttle so i usually dont go with global.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:54 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99mustanggt
low mid high, or just global but not both.I see no need to raise timing during part throttle so i usually dont go with global.
'i like to raise the global timing at part throttle because when im auto xing im not always full throttle, so i want my power as high as i can get it for the part throttle. It takes a lot of time to get your tune down as far as pinging adjustments n all that.. but when u do its all worth it.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:11 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

The Sniper software doesn't include a canned tune. I'm in CA so the most I can go is 91 and after making a tune for that, I heard that the spark was still very conservative so I just added +1 and then later on +2 (so 2 degrees more in total) of timing and i'm done messing with it.

The SF is a piece of crap anyway...I should have gotten the Commando upgrade to go with it...i'll get that soon later
Old 03-05-2009, 02:13 AM
HateWhatOwnsYou
2nd Gear Member

how easy is it to hear pinging?

ive always heard a pinking sound when i would put some load on the engine(from combustion or the valvetrain)

so how easy is it to tell them appart?
Old 03-05-2009, 02:15 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HateWhatOwnsYou
how easy is it to hear pinging?

ive always heard a pinking sound when i would put some load on the engine(from combustion or the valvetrain)

so how easy is it to tell them appart?
it sounds like you have marbles in your hand rolling them around hitting each other. its not loud, but you can hear it with the windows up and radio off.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:58 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The SF "base" tune, or any new tune created from the box code does not alter the fine tuning setting--the fine tuning setting are saved to a tune created from a base tune only, and are not saved between sessions, that's one of the things SFScrape does.

The base tune for Mustangs (regardless of what octane you choose) adds 2° the global timing, and 2° to the higher load and rpm settings in the Spark Borderline table. This was done because the OEM tune was perceived as being very conservative--it is, however adding those 2° globally for the 87 octane selection was a bit too aggressive and I suggest pulling 2° from the global modifier for those who insist on running 87 octane.

For 93 octane you can safely add another 2° to the global setting, 1° to the low rpm, 1.5° at the mid setting, and 2° at the high rpm range.

It is important to realise that the Global Spark Adder scalar value in the tune is added on top of the PCM calculated timing (which will the the lesser of the calculated spark or the Spark Borderline table value for that load and rpm). I.e. is is the digital equivalent of twisting the distributor to advance the base timing.

Think of it this way, changing the rpm range settings changes the Spark Borderline Table, and permits more advanced timing by raising the "bar"--but only if the PCM calculated spark advance is also greater.

Changing the Global Spark Adder forces more advanced timing--regardless of what the calculated or borderline table values are.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:15 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
The SF "base" tune, or any new tune created from the box code does not alter the fine tuning setting--the fine tuning setting are saved to a tune created from a base tune only, and are not saved between sessions, that's one of the things SFScrape does.

The base tune for Mustangs (regardless of what octane you choose) adds 2° the global timing, and 2° to the higher load and rpm settings in the Spark Borderline table. This was done because the OEM tune was perceived as being very conservative--it is, however adding those 2° globally for the 87 octane selection was a bit too aggressive and I suggest pulling 2° from the global modifier for those who insist on running 87 octane.

For 93 octane you can safely add another 2° to the global setting, 1° to the low rpm, 1.5° at the mid setting, and 2° at the high rpm range.

It is important to realise that the Global Spark Adder scalar value in the tune is added on top of the PCM calculated timing (which will the the lesser of the calculated spark or the Spark Borderline table value for that load and rpm). I.e. is is the digital equivalent of twisting the distributor to advance the base timing.

Think of it this way, changing the rpm range settings changes the Spark Borderline Table, and permits more advanced timing by raising the "bar"--but only if the PCM calculated spark advance is also greater.

Changing the Global Spark Adder forces more advanced timing--regardless of what the calculated or borderline table values are.

So how much more timing over a base 91 octane tune do you think I can safely add? I just put 2 more degrees in global.

Oh and by the way, you know how you said our cars run rich at the high end from the factory? is that at the high RPM's or WITH WOT too? I was just kinda thinking whether there is a difference in fueling going into the high RPMs just stepping it it heavily or flooring it.

Either way, how much HP do you think I am losing because of me running rich? If it is more than 10rwhp then I am probably gonna make the Commando upgrade my next mod

Thanks,
Brandon

Quick Reply: Special Forces & SFS Scrape installed, base tune ?s