4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Newbs guide to your first SN95...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 04:51 PM
klynam

Default Newbs guide to your first SN95...

If this exists already, please accept my apologies and point me toward the post. (I did search but didn't find anything...???)

Rather than bogging down my interior swap post with questions as I encountered them, I thought it would be cool to have a single general reference post for prospective and/or new SN95 owners like me...

Buying an SN-95: You know you want it, but you definitely don't want to get in over your head...

How to tell if the car is stock? Modified? Mutilated?
Specific questions to ask the seller?
Specific mods to avoid? (what usually makes a car worse than stock?)
What to look for and what it means? (white smoke out of one or both tailpipes? shimmy at highway speed? pulling to one side? rough idle? etc.)

Your first weekend at home w/ your new SN-95 You're excited about getting to know your new car and want to be sure it's in good driveable condition asap...

Changing the oil (which oil filter, which weight oil, how many quarts)
Should I use Slick50 or another oil treatment/additive?
Should I use SeaFoam to clean out the top end?
Changing the air filter (paper vs. cotton/reusable)
New brakes (should I do pads only, pads and turn the rotors, or pads and new rotors? how do you bleed brakes?)
New tires (when are they still ok, when should they definitely be replaced)
How do you check plugs? (removal, visual check, plug gaps, good quality replacements)
Upholstery & Carpet (best cleaning products/techniques?)
Paint finish (how to correct hazing? swirl marks? paint chips? sun damage?)
Headlights (replace vs $20 3M polishing kit?)

Cosmetic mods: You want to start individualizing your ride, where do you start and who has good quality products at the best price?

White face gauges?
Headlight/tailight covers?
Wheels/tires? (the bigger you go the tighter the fit, generally what fits and what wont)
Other topics???

Basic (bolt-on) performance mods: You ready to go faster, handle better, and stop quicker - where do you start and what's involved with what choices (cost, tools, time, and skill requirements)

Suspension (lower springs, shocks struts, cas/cam plates, sub-frame connectors, etc,)
Exhaust (headers, cat-back, tips, mil's)
Air/Fuel (induction/air-tract, injectors, intakes, etc.)

These are just ideas that came into my head as I've been thinking about my daughter's new (used) car and my background experience with Fox-bodies.

A good, quick-reference post covering basic topics like this would be awesome for newbs like me!!!
Old 03-06-2009, 04:55 PM
jwarner0297
4th Gear Member

are you wanting answers in this thread to those questions?
Old 03-06-2009, 04:56 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

we have one of these lol, here ya go.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...at-thread.html

^ many many threads about welll everything lol.

best mods for the NPI (96-98) would be a PI swap then gears, then LT headers and other bolt ons.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:56 PM
jwarner0297
4th Gear Member

nevermind
Old 03-06-2009, 05:01 PM
klynam

LOL - thanks SVTeeshirt - I definitely missed that one. Maybe a mod can delete this thread...???
Old 03-09-2009, 11:03 AM
klynam

Needless to say, I'm finiding lots of performance stuff on here, but I'm not finding much on the BASICS anywhere.

I really need some personal experience and those little tips and tricks that make life easier for basic maintenance like replacing brake pads, rotors, swaybar bushings, etc. all specific to the SN95 model. Stuff like this...

"Here's the easiest way to do (whatever). You can't get this off because that is in the way, so the other thing has to come off first. This thing doesn't need to come off, but that thing does and it takes a XXmm wrench. And be careful, this or that might happen then you're in a real mess, but if you do the other thing first, then odds are you'll be fine."

Anything like that would be a TREMEMDOUS help - whether on this forum or elsewhere online.

also, is there a thread ANYWHERE that has all the stock specifications? (like swaybar diameter?)

Thanks again everyone...

Last edited by klynam; 03-09-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:35 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

I don't think theres a thread like that, i do however suggest picking up a haynes repair manual, i've gotten myself through tons of stuff i've never done before by going off of a haynes manual on multiple cars. You can get em at autozone. When you get stuck with something thats when its time to make a thread lol, we have some really knowledgable members who have built their cars top to bottom and know all there is to know about these cars.

There are also tech specific books out there, i have a 4.6 and 5.4L mod book by sean hyland that is pretty nice but it could be better.