4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

02 gt clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 04:30 PM
chadp

Default 02 gt clutch

Could anyone recomend a good clutch set for me. I has a stage 3 in it now that came in the car when i bought it. My warranty is changing the the flywheel and i wanna toss a new clutch in it while its apart. Im looking for something inbetween whats in it and a stock piece.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:36 PM
HNDA ETR
1st Gear Member

I've got a King Cobra Clutch in mine and I wouldn't go any other way honestly. Its easier to drive than the stock clutch but still grabs hard. It would be a massive difference from your Stage 3 lol. Depends what kind of power your going to be making when your picking out a clutch
Old 03-12-2009, 07:05 PM
jwarner0297
4th Gear Member

I'm going with the RAM clutch, however I suggest you read this thoroughly then decide:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/choosing-clutch.html
Old 03-13-2009, 01:51 AM
blueberry

when my stock clutch finally went out (around 75K miles), i decided to go for the fidanza 2.1 and their aluminum flywheel. i didn't notice any difference in pedal pressure, and the aluminum flywheel woke it up a bit. it revs smoother and quicker than the stock steel piece. it's not as bad as people make it out to be when using it on a daily driver. if you are a decent shifter, you should be able to drive it.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:21 PM
chadp

Originally Posted by HNDA ETR
I've got a King Cobra Clutch in mine and I wouldn't go any other way honestly. Its easier to drive than the stock clutch but still grabs hard. It would be a massive difference from your Stage 3 lol. Depends what kind of power your going to be making when your picking out a clutch
Thanks horsepower wise my cars pretty stock right now, im looking at at maybe hitting 300-325 horsepower in the furture.

I'm going with the RAM clutch, however I suggest you read this thoroughly then decide:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/choosing-clutch.html
Thanks man that write up was a big help!

when my stock clutch finally went out (around 75K miles), i decided to go for the fidanza 2.1 and their aluminum flywheel. i didn't notice any difference in pedal pressure, and the aluminum flywheel woke it up a bit. it revs smoother and quicker than the stock steel piece. it's not as bad as people make it out to be when using it on a daily driver. if you are a decent shifter, you should be able to drive it.
What are the advantages vs disadvantages of a aluminum flywheel?

Thanks
Old 03-13-2009, 03:58 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

+1 on the King Cobra IMO it is the perfect blend of Bite and Pedal feel for any spirited DD.

wow, I feel like I've typed that like 5 times today.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:18 PM
jwarner0297
4th Gear Member

Disadvantages to alum flywheel( i'll call al/f) is that they cost a lot of money for a very small amount of freed up "power"

al/f will have better heat dissipation and will give you less weight about half of the stock one which means easier for your motor to get spinning.

As with anything alum. it will only take so much torqueing, such as you couldn't re use it forever in the sense of taking it off and putting it back on over and over will smash it around the bolts, but that really isn't a disadvantage unless you keep your car for like 20 years
Old 03-14-2009, 02:17 PM
chadp

Originally Posted by defconfire
+1 on the King Cobra IMO it is the perfect blend of Bite and Pedal feel for any spirited DD.

wow, I feel like I've typed that like 5 times today.
From what i've found out is the cobra clutch wont work with my transmission i have the T3650, and i guess it will only work with the other 5 speed the put the the mustangs.

Disadvantages to alum flywheel( i'll call al/f) is that they cost a lot of money for a very small amount of freed up "power"

al/f will have better heat dissipation and will give you less weight about half of the stock one which means easier for your motor to get spinning.

As with anything alum. it will only take so much torqueing, such as you couldn't re use it forever in the sense of taking it off and putting it back on over and over will smash it around the bolts, but that really isn't a disadvantage unless you keep your car for like 20 years
Thanks i think im gonna toss one in while its apart any suggestions as to which one?
Old 03-14-2009, 05:41 PM
blueberry

Originally Posted by chadp
Thanks i think im gonna toss one in while its apart any suggestions as to which one?
I chose to go with the fidanza aluminum flywheel because it has a replaceable friction plate. I can just replace the plate instead of "the entire flywheel when the clutch or flywheel is at the end of it's life. "

Check them out. Also, the clutch kit comes with everything you need to replace.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:11 PM
jwarner0297
4th Gear Member

I believe the spec has one with a replacable friction plate also, but really how many times are you going to change your clutch?
One more after this one maybe?

Quick Reply: 02 gt clutch